Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
ekbmuts
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:48 pm

I'm building frames from 3/8" stainless steel rod and 3/8" stainless steel tubing @ 0.035" wall. I don't have a notcher so am having to notch the intersections of these items by hand. I can do this with a cut-off wheel I suppose. But is there a better way? Any ideas would be appreciated.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

A hole saw works pretty well. I use an annular cutter in my Mag drill with a jig. Also when it really matters, I use my mill and my jig and a roughing mill (but that’s a luxury most don’t have).

Starret makes some decent hole saws and use LOTS of cutting fluid to prevent dulling and cooking the stainless.
ekbmuts
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:48 pm

cj - Thanks very much. I had considered hole saws but could never find one at 3/8". I'll check the Starrett site. I do, however, have four brand new 3/8" tungsten carbide burrs that I think I could jig up in a die grinder. As long as I can hold it still and feed my tubing into it that might work. I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks again.