Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
    Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:30 am

I was stationed in Thailand (late 1960's) & knew a local whose father owned a (gold & silver) jewellry shop. I only saw them working silver, very interesting. Hammered down bars of silver till they could pull it through a 'die', an old metal file with a graduated series of square cut holes through it. Wound it around a small threaded rod, (metric size?? about # 6 or 8 x coarse thread), snipped of 'circles', joined 2 like twisted '8's', and, finally, back to the subject at hand, (silver) soldered them together using a home made benzene torch which was a foot operated bellows pumping air through a gallon can (like acetone, alcohol,etc cans from Home depot). The air bubbled up through the benzene through a hose to the torch & soldered the links. Made like 100's & 1.000's of 'em, then solder 2 together both through 2 already made, continue for 12 hrs a day till done. The man was quite adept at flame control (great foot-eye coordination!), A dollar a day, 6 days a week. It really reeked of benzene, tho. -c-

Look! a hole in the space-time continuum!
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

wow! leave it to the so called third world to "git er done"!!
Tombstone
    Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:15 pm

WerkSpace wrote:I have an old Coleman lantern that works on gasoline. Coleman initially denied making it, until I sent them a photograph and model number, then I was told that these were not legal to use anymore because of people using them in enclosed spaces and getting sick. I guess that all of the additives in gasoline can be pretty nasty.
Huh? Coleman to this day continues the make lanterns and stove that can run on either white gas (Coleman fuel) or UNLEADED GASOLINE. Don't know who at Coleman told you that gasoline burning lanterns and stoves are "illegal." They're still making and selling them.

http://www.coleman.com/product/premium- ... prN0n-9KSM
"Let's light the fire an' brief on guard.". RIP Lt. Col Stan "Red Dog" Nichols. USMC. Fighter Pilot. Korea, Vietnam. MCAS El Toro.
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

As with any large company, advice comes from several different employees who all form their own opinions.
The following link from Coleman has more information on this topic.
http://coleman.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61
I live in Canada, so note the part that says, Unleaded gas from Canada should never be used in any Coleman® appliance, even the "Dual Fuel™" and "Unleaded", as there is an additive in the fuel which will damage the tank, valve, generator and burner assembly.
Tombstone wrote:
WerkSpace wrote:I have an old Coleman lantern that works on gasoline. Coleman initially denied making it, until I sent them a photograph and model number, then I was told that these were not legal to use anymore because of people using them in enclosed spaces and getting sick. I guess that all of the additives in gasoline can be pretty nasty.
Huh? Coleman to this day continues the make lanterns and stove that can run on either white gas (Coleman fuel) or UNLEADED GASOLINE. Don't know who at Coleman told you that gasoline burning lanterns and stoves are "illegal." They're still making and selling them.

http://www.coleman.com/product/premium- ... prN0n-9KSM
Dirtbag
    Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:14 am

Petrogen does indeed make a gasoline'O2 cutter. We had one on our USAR rig when I was still working. Only used it a couple times, mostly training. Always had visions of a big ka-whump! It's advantage was better portability because you had only one heavy pressurized cylinder to lug around instead of two. Still, there was that O2/gasoline thing to be concerned about. Never heard about one blowing up...
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

noddybrian wrote:Never seen one before - or even heard of it - but I'm very interested as Acetylene is due to be phased out in the UK ( apparently ) .
Yet one more reason to escape that hellhole. :mrgreen:
I see Satans daughter is now handing the license to steal over to The Royal Retard.
Goldtrigger
    Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:51 pm

I was late looking at this. I went to oxy-propane cutting last year. Works like a charm and is lots cheaper than acetylene.
Fallon
    Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:49 pm

WerkSpace wrote:As with any large company, advice comes from several different employees who all form their own opinions.
The following link from Coleman has more information on this topic.
http://coleman.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61
I live in Canada, so note the part that says, Unleaded gas from Canada should never be used in any Coleman® appliance, even the "Dual Fuel™" and "Unleaded", as there is an additive in the fuel which will damage the tank, valve, generator and burner assembly.
Last I heard a few years ago, the dual fuel stoves were around & worked on white gas or unleaded. They highly recommended white gas as opposed to automotive fuel though. White gas is more refined & has less impurities in it. Running unleaded would cause the generators to gunk up a lot faster & wear out sooner. I don't recall problems with unleaded generally gunking up cars, but they do run with different fuel evaporation profiles. You heat up the generator tube running across the burner on the stove to get the fuel to vaporize vs the jets in a carb or fuel injection.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Goldtrigger wrote:I was late looking at this. I went to oxy-propane cutting last year. Works like a charm and is lots cheaper than acetylene.
Any comments on propane, Gold trigger?
I'm looking into it....
Any tips/hindsight?

John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024