Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
DSL power
    Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:39 pm

I was looking at getting one of the harborfreight 7x12in bandsaws with the hydraulic downfeed and liquid cooling. Does anybody have any opinions on them? I read a lot of reviews and moat seems to be pretty posotive about it.
Miller Trailblazer 302 EFI
Suitcase Extreme 8VS
ThermalArc Cutmaster 52
Everlast Power I-TIG 255EXT
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:30 pm

I've had one for a couple years now and they work OK. Take your time and make sure it is setup right. Plenty of instructions on the setup adjustments come with it. If you catch it on sale and get on the web and find a 20% off coupon you can get out the door for just under $6oo...

The blade that comes with them (high speed steel) is a real POS and HF does NOT carry them or coolant so you're on your own. If your going to get one of these saws get online and find a good bi-metal blade or better, you'll be glad you did.

I put a couple of old magnets on the catch pan to keep chips (saw dust) from plugging the return path for the coolant to the tank. Keep the coolant clean or it will eat the pump alive...don't ask... :(

If your a small shop or hobbyist They're not a bad deal. I don't think I'd want to run it 8 hours a day 5 days a week but they do cut true if adjusted right.
Go break something, then you can weld it back the right way.

DSL power

Are the BiMetal blades ok? My local northern tool has them otherwise I was thinking of going with a carbide blade if I could find one. I won't be runninbg fit that often. It will only be used a couple times a day on average mostlynin the summer. I wish I had more work though!
Suitcase Extreme 8VS
ThermalArc Cutmaster 52

Bi metal blades are ok for mild steel. Just don't feed the blade to fast. Carbides are better but a lot more $$$. I've been running the same bi metal for probably 6 months and use it several (20-30) times a week, all mild steel cuts.

DSL power

I'll just try the bimetal first then. Sounds like they will fill my needs just fine. Thanks Ace!
Suitcase Extreme 8VS
ThermalArc Cutmaster 52
propdr
    Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:04 pm

Hello,

Check out Ellis Band saws, I bought one a year ago and absolutely love it. Also it cuts dry like butter. The best part is its American made. The prices aren't much different if any. It's really a great built saw. I bought the model 1600 paid $2400.
contact information: Ellis MFG. Co. 107 W. Railroad St. Verona, WI 53593 / 800-383-5547 / www.ellissaw.com

Hope this helps you.

Gary
DSL power

I would loceto genllis i know several people with tjem. But i don't have the $2400 roght now. I dont really even wwnt to spend the $600 on the HF saw but i need to cut sone bigger thicker tubes and round stock that my chopsaw doesnt like. Once I get some more money i will definately be getting one. I have my eye on one of there larger units.
Suitcase Extreme 8VS
ThermalArc Cutmaster 52

6" round stock is the max the HF saw will hold in the vise. I have cut several pieces of gas pipe with mine.

Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

I haven't looked in to the HF saws but for a saw that will last you, your children and grand children a lifetime the Ellis is the way to go. The 1600 is a dry saw but with some common sense cuts can be as clean as a cold saw. I've been around them in high production shops and rebuilt them. Cant beat them.
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.
Wobulate
    Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:30 am

I agree with others in this thread regarding Ellis Bandsaws, they are my first choice if and when I can afford one ($3K). In the mean time I purchased a relatively low cost ($970) Horizontal Bandsaw from MSC Industrial Co.

SPECIFICATION
Combination Horizontal & Vertical Bandsaw | Machine Style: Manual | Drive Type: Step Pulley | Angle of Rotation (°): 45.00 | Maximum Capacity (Rounds) at 45° (Inch): 5 | Maximum Capacity (Rectangular) at 90° (Inch): 7 x 12 | Maximum Capacity (Rectangular) at 45° (mm): 120 x 125: Weight 275 LBs:
Machine Style Manual
Drive Type Step Pulley
Angle of Rotation ( ) 45.00
Maximum Capacity (Rounds) at 45 (Inch) 5
Maximum Capacity (Rectangular) at 90 (Inch) 7 x 12
Maximum Capacity (Rectangular) at 45 (mm) 120 x 125
Maximum Capacity (Rectangular) at 45 (Inch) 4-3/4 x 4-7/8
Maximum Capacity (Rounds) at 90 (Inch) 7
Maximum Capacity (Rounds) at 45 (mm) 127.00
Phase 1
Coolant System (Yes/No) Yes
Blade Speeds (SFPM) 90, 135, 195, 255
Blade Length (mm) 2362.20
Blade Length (Inch) 93
Blade Width (mm) 19.05
Blade Width (Inch) 3/4
Blade Width (Decimal Inch) 0.7500
Throat Band to Column (Inch) 7
Blade Thickness (mm) 0.80
Blade Thickness (Decimal Inch) 0.0315 (0.032)
Horsepower (HP) 3/4
Capacity Under Guides (Inch) 12
Overall Height (mm) 955.04
Overall Height (Decimal Inch) 37.6000
Voltage 115/230

WOB
WOB
Lincoln,Precision TIG225
Miller,Millermatic 251
Miller,Spoolmatic 30A
Miller,Millermatic 130XP
Miller,Spectrum 625
Miller,Thunderbolt 225AC
KMG,Belt Grinder/2x72
Ingersoll Rand,Compressor/5HP
MSC/Vectrax,Band Saw Horizontal-Vertical/7x12
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Anyone have a harbor freight portaband? I was wondering how they hold up.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

kermdawg wrote:Anyone have a harbor freight portaband? I was wondering how they hold up.
I'll be interested in that, myself... Can't get the boss to buy one. If he can get it for cheap at HF and I can prove it's value before it dies, he'll buy a good brand (or keep buying the HF ones...)

Steve S
kermdawg

Well think of it this way. A milwaukee portaband is 400 bucks. A harbor freight one is 89. You can buy almost 5 HF saws for 1 milwaukee.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

But the Milwaukee lasts 5 times longer.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

AKweldshop wrote:But the Milwaukee lasts 5 times longer.
If that is the case then it will not matter price wise which one you would buy.
-Jonathan
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Superiorwelding wrote:
AKweldshop wrote:But the Milwaukee lasts 5 times longer.
If that is the case then it will not matter price wise which one you would buy.
-Jonathan

That's the trade off.

My 2 cents...

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
AKmud
    Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:47 am

Don't forget to check the pawn shops, name brand portabands show up regularly around here in the $100-$200 range.
kermdawg

AKmud wrote:Don't forget to check the pawn shops, name brand portabands show up regularly around here in the $100-$200 range.
My buddy got a nice porter cable one at a pawn shop for 100 bucks. Problem with pawn shops is you never know what they have, you might have to go to one for weeks at a time before the item your looking for shows up. Even then, just because it looks good don't mean it aint f***ed on the inside.

At least you can haggle with em and get a good price :)