Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
crazycarl
    Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:03 am

Hey everyone,

Well I received my "overdue" plasma cutter today only to be disappointed with my order. I ordered a Longevity ForceCut 80i on 6/13, it did not ship until the 6/19 and arrived today. I video taped the unpacking as I thought I would upload it to my 'youtube' account later, unfortunately the audio is just too low... otherwise it was a decent first ever video I thought.

My original order was for the machine, Roller Guide, Welding Cart and a "free" extra set of consumables. To my surprise, the extra set of consumables were for a different torch. It appears Longevity has made a change in their equipment and I ordered the lastest IPT-80 and they sent me the PT-80 consumables. I also did not receive the DVD, the wrench to change consumables, the electrical plug (which is shown in the picture when you order - was told that it is NOT included).

Otherwise the order went as planned, I went into town and purchased a "Hobart" 50 amp plug (funny that I was told it takes a 50 amp when the machine is 80 amp) and some additional air quick disconnects along with a new 50' hose. I need another filter but I am not paying 29 dollars for CH equipment.

Longevity has provided me with a RMA and as soon as I ship back the "wrong" package of consumables they will immediately mail the correct stuff, at least I didn't have to pay for their mistake.

I will give an update on the performance of this unit as soon as I can, as of right now I cannot give any report as I have not used it yet. I wll however tell you that the unit itself is of substantial weight, nice paint and appears solid. The torch is the type with the trigger guard which I am surprised to see, I thought I was getting the one with the button on the back of it.

I almost forgot, I was sold a LG-75/P-80 Roller Guide. IT DOES NOT WORK with this unit, this unit as I said is the IPT-80. They did offer to refund my money and provide me with an RMA but I believe I can make it work with this unit.

So, with all that said... that is my first impression of Longevity, Longevity's product and their support. The salesman whom I will not oust has only been there for a few months, we all know how products change but they should have been briefed on what fits what. The rep has been EXTEMELY nice and helpful, as a matter of fact he has offered me additional consumables for the mix up along with a set of gloves. I told him it was not necessary but appreciated. The staff has been extremely helpful and I have no regrets. Things happen and I can't wait to test this machine, I am confident that once these small issues are resolved everything will be great!

So with all that said, I am off to the garage! Here are a couple of pics for everyone to look at! Well, I went out to the garage, took the cover off to do a "pre-op" and double check all the nuts, bolts, screws etc.. I was a bit surprised as I only found 4 case screws that were just a tad loose, however I did notice that the top rack is bowed and the bottom circuit board is rubbing the bottom of the case. I wonder if it is supposed to be like this or if I should attempt to straighten it with a support brace on both sides.

One more thing, that LARGE RED cooling fan... All metal! I like the quality so far... tomorrow we see it in action!

So, any advice is appreciated.
CrazyCarl
HW!
Attachments
Infineon IGBT's
Infineon IGBT's
DSC_2408^.jpg (31.44 KiB) Viewed 1858 times
Left side - bowed top plate board scratching
Left side - bowed top plate board scratching
DSC_2386^.jpg (57.02 KiB) Viewed 1858 times
Right side - bowed top platform
Right side - bowed top platform
DSC_2382^.jpg (55.02 KiB) Viewed 1858 times
torch and consumables
torch and consumables
DSC_2379^.jpg (55.2 KiB) Viewed 1858 times
front of machine
front of machine
DSC_2374^.jpg (68.43 KiB) Viewed 1858 times
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Good luck mate.
Have the camera rolling when you turn it on.... :?
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

crazycarl wrote:Hey everyone...
... I went into town and purchased a "Hobart" 50 amp plug (funny that I was told it takes a 50 amp when the machine is 80 amp...
Here's a quote from a similar question (topic here: http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... =29&t=4797 )

It's about a 50A machine on a 30A circuit, but the logic is the same.

"Let's assume the cutting voltage is exactly 100V, for simplicity's sake. Then, cutting at 50A current is a 5000 Watt power consumption at the torch. (Power = current X voltage). To translate that into input current from a 220V source (again, for simplicity, I'll assume a perfect, no-loss system), you get about 22.75 Amps (Current = Power / Voltage) drawn at the plug. Allowing for losses to heat, cooling fans, control circuits, and the inherent inefficiency of a "real-world" machine, you are still under 25A draw to run the machine wide open."

Hope this clears up the 50A plug on the 80A machine mystery.

Steve S
crazycarl

Steve,

Well I read your statement and I viewed that thread(I actually read that one last night as well). I have a picture of the back of my machine, I can't make heads or tails of all that and I consider myself fairly intelligent.

Can someone please explain this label and its markings to me, please try to keep it in laymen's term for me until I grasp all of this.

I have fixed the shelf, it was a very simple fix. I flipped the machine over and applied pressure to the shelf (very gently) and it straightened up immediately, then I put the cover back on and drilled a hole on each side through the cover and into that shelf rail. I then used 2 sheet metal self tappers and now I feel very sure that it won't move again. I also painted the inside of the cabinet where the board scraped the bottom and I used a dab of liquid rubber in there as well. I am confident it will be ok.

However, as I blew off the dust the "pretty RED" fan lost its paint.. unbelievable that that just blew off. almost as if it was just laying on the fan blades with absolutely NO adhesion at all.

Anyway, here is the pic of the label. Oh "obi wan" please share your knowledge! LOL.

PS.. @John, man you sound like you got a lemon.. do you mind sharing your experience?

One thing that I am impressed with is the use of the Infineon IGBT modules, they are made in Germany and I have confidence in their products.

CrazyCarl
HW!
Attachments
ForceCut 80i spec lablel
ForceCut 80i spec lablel
DSC_2377.JPG (52.67 KiB) Viewed 1811 times
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

crazycarl wrote:
PS.. @John, man you sound like you got a lemon.. do you mind sharing your experience?

Yo man,

I sure did....
Bought one of those cheap "cut50d simarc/simadre junk"....
Did just fine for several months, but than the pilot arc quit working.
HF box quit, and the machine is worthless , and nobody to fix it.

Buy the best to begin with and you'll never regret it.

Trust me mate.

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
crazycarl

Thanks for sharing, I looked around like all of us do but being a disabled vet on a fixed income I had to buy what I could afford. What I liked most about the Longevity brand is that it comes with a 5 year warranty, all you pay is S/H.

This machine is also inverter technology has the IPT-80 torch, I am still assembling it (hoses, etc) and I need a 3/8" coupler so off to town I run and hopefully when I return I will setup the GoPro and record the first cuts. I made an initial video but my audio was bad so I am hesitant to post on my youtube account. But I will give a review online and an annual review as well. The only thing that concerns me now is I can't find the IPT-80 torch with the Euro connector anywhere online.

maybe someone here has some idea as to where to find the torch and the consumes...

Thanks again.. I almost purchased one of those 50d but Jeez it scared me.. LOL

CrazyCarl
HW!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Carl,

I'll take a crack at translating the label...

The important part for you as the user is the duty-cycle chart, headed 35%, 60%, 100%. The chart gives the duty-cycle as 60% at the full 80A, and reaches a full 100% when operated at 63A and below. (I suppose the 35% column exists so they can use the same label on a 120V machine.)

The table at the bottom give (I believe... I can't read the fine print. I'll repeat to myself, "I'm not old", and blame the picture :lol: ) peak start-up and continuous current at machine maximum, as a function of your actual input voltage, which varies with different electric providers, but is usually one of the three given. Note these are true "peak-to-peak" currents, and and your breaker and plug are sized for the RMS value, which is 70.7% of the values given.

Steve S
crazycarl

Thanks for that info,

I fired it up today... it cut through 3/8 no problem then I tied an old piece of railroad track. it is rusty and the blow back ruined my tip immediately!

Since Longevity sent me the incorrect consumables I am going to wait until I receive additional tips to continue. I believe the reason I had the blow back was that I had the amps @ 80 and the air pressure at 45 lbs. I forgot to turn it up to the max of 70 psi when I upped the amps... so, it did not have enough air pressure to blow the molten metal away... my mistake, live and learn.

I made a video, I need to find some sort of editing software, edit the thing and upload it.. I hope the audio is OK.

I thought about buying a 70 amp breaker but the 50 amp is holding just fine..

Thanks for the input!
CC
HW!
crazycarl

So, I haven't been online lately due to computer issues but I have had time to play with my new machine and I must say I am very impressed. I don't have any plasma experience so I have nothing to compare it to however I can say that after my initial test cut and ruining a tip I learned that I must keep the air pressure UP.

here is a picture of my 2nd cut (the entire table top) and it walked through this like it was butter... This is probably the thickest I will ever cut but you never know right.

As far as I can tell from right now, this machine seems to be well worth the money. I am going to be making a few things in the next few months and I will continue to post success and failures from my projects so that everyone sees what this machine can and cannot do well/good.

Here is the pic of the metal I cut on my 2nd attempt ever, I am pleasantly surprised and pleased at how well it turned out. Also a picture of the tip afterwards... I am pleased that I did not hurt the tip. :)

Oh, please don't hammer me for cutting into my table.. lol. it is a newbie mistake and won't (hopefully) happen again. :roll:
Attachments
tip after cutting table top
tip after cutting table top
IMG_1167.JPG (53.91 KiB) Viewed 1696 times
Thickness of metal
Thickness of metal
IMG_1171.JPG (70.83 KiB) Viewed 1696 times
cut of side with gaps.
cut of side with gaps.
IMG_1190.JPG (61.18 KiB) Viewed 1696 times
cut of solid side
cut of solid side