Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

I have a job where I have to cut out several hundred of the same shapes. The job won't pay enough to justify buying a computer controlled plasma torch and the pieces need to be plasma cut because of the heat outline the torch will make ( it's an art thing). What I would normally do in this situation is cut a shape template out of hardboard (Masonite or MDF), clamp it to the steel and follow the template along with the torch. It works good, but each piece of hardboard is only good for a few cuts until it chars up from the heat and then I need a new template. I'll go broke on time and hardboard cutting new templates for every two pieces of steel....

So.... what would be a good material to use for templates? It needs to be at least 3/8ths of an inch thick, non conductive to electricity, able to take an intense amount of heat, and be easily cut with a bandsaw.

Thanks!
Other Steve
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
Negativ3
    Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:25 am

Shooting from the hip here... never tried.

Could some thick glass, water-jetted to the required shape for plasma cutting work?

It maybe possible to stack multiple layers (Epoxy) to get the required thickness if 3/8" not available and you would need to provide an exact template of what you want or a cad file for them to cut.

A thin pad of rubber could be used to allow a clamp to secure while cutting and you would need clean surfaces to prevent breaking.

Not very bandsaw friendly but just a thought. :)

Andy
Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding is my personal signature dish.
Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I use highly conductive jigs for plasma all the time. No insulation, and no issues. I'll drag the tip directly against a stainless fence.

If your machine refuses to cooperate, you could make a metal jig with non-conductive, replaceable stand-off feet.

Steve S
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

I slip on the tig finger and go at it free hand. :lol: I would use a piece of wood, I use wood all the time for stuff, never had trouble with burning.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Couldn't you use the stuff that a Tig torch insulator is made of? I think it's call Derlin, it comes in sheets of all thicknesses.

Len

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:I use highly conductive jigs for plasma all the time. No insulation, and no issues. I'll drag the tip directly against a stainless fence.

If your machine refuses to cooperate, you could make a metal jig with non-conductive, replaceable stand-off feet.

Steve S
I was also wondering about the non-conductive part since I drag along a piece of angle iron often.

But that's only on low, my high setting wouldn't allow that because it requires a stand-off. (Older Miller spectrum 700)

The use of a non-conductive layer, or feet, would work excellent for my machine on high. Thanks for the idea :)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Mon May 12, 2014 12:06 am

You could use Teflon PTFE sheet plastic,
From McMaster-Carr:
"PTFE has a slippery surface and surpasses most plastics when it comes to chemical resistance and performance in extreme temperatures. It resists most solvents. This material is also an excellent electrical insulator and can be used outdoors."
Color: White, unless noted
Temperature Range: -350° to 500° F
Tensile Strength: Poor
Impact Strength: Good
Glen
Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45 - Hobart Handler 150
Negativ3
    Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:25 am

A pantograph?

J1NGaZZkTn8
Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding is my personal signature dish.
Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.
    Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:42 am

Best idea yet!
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I like the pantograph idea!! Very nice.
-Jonathan
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Negativ3, Top Suggestion! Thanks
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

That pantograph is awesome!
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

great tool very ingenious
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
Jason_alex
    Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:41 pm

If you need a lot cut you could also look at outsourcing to a company that has a CNC plasma table. But the pantograph is a great idea.
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

The pantograph is very cool! Great idea!!
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder