Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
SPENG
    Sat May 31, 2014 9:04 pm

delraydella wrote:The reason those guys' shops are so clean and pristine is because they never actually use the machines or make anything with them, they're too busy being online trying to one up each other.

idk about that.. I keep my shop clean because I believe a clean and tidy shop promotes a good healthy environment for my employees. My machines see work every single day for 12+ hours a day....

This is messy for my shop!
    Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:47 am

Thanks for the look into your shop. Impressive (and clean, I'd say).

The workshops that I (for one) am curious about, are hobbyists, (I'd say), who have half a dozen machines that in my experience create dust, and filings, and fumes and smoke, even slag, all jammed into a basement or shed so tightly you can hardly identify some of the machines properly, no extraction equipment apparent, and everything sparkling.

No dust. No grit?

How do they do that? (I sweep every 30 minutes or so, and sometimes after each weld, if I have accurate set up to do.)

Ah well. Good luck to them.
farmboy
    Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:51 pm

I own a mill it is my most useful tool in my arsenal I use it to bevel, slot holes, and machine welds for precise fits.
my advice to you is purchase a small mill lathe combo. You can use it for bushings and shaft repair.
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

AnvilJack wrote:Thanks for the look into your shop. Impressive (and clean, I'd say).

The workshops that I (for one) am curious about, are hobbyists, (I'd say), who have half a dozen machines that in my experience create dust, and filings, and fumes and smoke, even slag, all jammed into a basement or shed so tightly you can hardly identify some of the machines properly, no extraction equipment apparent, and everything sparkling.

No dust. No grit?

How do they do that? (I sweep every 30 minutes or so, and sometimes after each weld, if I have accurate set up to do.)

Ah well. Good luck to them.
Their hobby is cleaning,not working. It is a see what I got shop, not what I can do.
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
Fly
  • Fly
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:07 am

I must admit, I,m some what a slob.I have a vetacal mill, 15" lathe, ect.Oh yes I clean my shop,
& try to keep it clean.But as been said above, if I kept it as some, I would NEVER get any work
done. :roll:

Fly
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

small shop vac makes light work of chips on the lathe, mill, bandsaw,etc,
easy cleanup.
i have a small Sears 2 1/2 gal vac you can hold in your
hand for quick tool cleanups
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

motox, I do the same thing. it works great. I probably even use the same type shop vac as you!
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
blaz
    Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:08 pm

motox wrote:small shop vac makes light work of chips on the lathe, mill, bandsaw,etc,
easy cleanup.
i have a small Sears 2 1/2 gal vac you can hold in your
hand for quick tool cleanups

LOL, I was just thinking of the chips I have made at work. :? 1.750" off the diameter at a feed rate of 0.028 per revolution. Your vacuum would be choking. :lol:

For a small mill and lathe I agree that a shop vac works. :D
motox

blaz
you need one powered by a v-8 for those chips.
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
blaz

I think it was a 25HP lathe with about a 40 " swing.
motox

what are they turning, train parts?
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
blaz

I did turn the bearing ends on an axle with a set of train wheels on it. :D . I was working at a jobber shop and did lots of different work on that lathe. I had to remove a flange that was seized on an electric motor shaft when I made those large cuts. It was a 10" output shaft on the electric motor.
Blue Diver
    Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:28 pm

I saw a lot of different penetrant oils talked about on this thread but I didn't see mention of one... Aerokroil. I call it gold in an orange can. I work in the marine industry and it has freed up parts that a team hands couldn't get to move with rose buds and slam hammers.
'Can't' is an evil word that is not in my vocabulary!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Blue Diver wrote:I saw a lot of different penetrant oils talked about on this thread but I didn't see mention of one... Aerokroil. I call it gold in an orange can. I work in the marine industry and it has freed up parts that a team hands couldn't get to move with rose buds and slam hammers.
AMEN! on the aerokroil, the oil that creeps!

That stuff works wonders.

Is the guy using it, then, the "creep that oils?" :lol:

Steve S
Blue Diver
    Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:28 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:Is the guy using it, then, the "creep that oils?" :lol: Steve S

Womp womp woooomp..... haha
'Can't' is an evil word that is not in my vocabulary!
Scuba1
    Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:21 pm

I have a lathe on board my boat and use it for a whole lot of things. Mostly because I built the boat myself and made most of the parts i need it to fix stuff if something breaks as I can't get things off the shelf.
Then come little side projects. Like getting this thing back up and running. Spare parts like worn shafts etc for these are realy expensive, so I made new ones for it out of stainless steel that will last longer as it gets used in water a fair bit.

the the little tool I made to re size rim-fire rounds to match the chambers of my guns and turn them into hollow points that will actually expand on impact.

Here is a pic of when I installed it on the boat.

Sitting pretty

Making parts for PCP air rifles for the target shooting folks is where it comes in handy as well.

Re crowning rifle barrels and the list goes on

The thing is that when you start working with lathes and mills. Get the best measuring tools and cutting tools that you can afford. I have easily more money in tooling and measuring stuff then what the lathe cost me.

ATB

Michael
Fast, Cheap, Good........pick any two
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Just a thought, but smacking the hell out of one end of a .22LR seems a wee bit hazardous...

Steve S