Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
bigworm40
    Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:58 pm

So I finally had enough of wasting consumables and talked to company into investing in a water separator to mount on the machine itself. We have a very bad moisture problem with our shop air lines that no one wants to address. I just read some where that people are using Nitrogen rather then shop air on their plasma cutters. Does anyone have any input or experience with the powermax 600 and Nitrogen?
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

bigworm40,
You can use Nitrogen anywhere that compressed air is used with a caveat, you need proper ventilation. If your in an open shop area then there is no problem. A small room or a confined space, then there is a chance of reducing the Oxygen to an unsafe level.

Nitrogen is ultra dry and should extend the life of your consumables substantially, but I'm not sure that the savings could be realized unless you have access to liquid Nitrogen in bulk. A plasma cutter uses quite a bit of gas and will go through a cylinder post haste.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

Make your own desiccant dryer. The large pellets are inexpensive.
The dryer is designed as a piece of pipe with fittings on either end.
Put a piece of screen inside the ends and use the larger desiccant pellets.
The pellets can be re-used if you dry them out in an oven.
Attachments
DSCN4909.jpg
DSCN4909.jpg (52.41 KiB) Viewed 1147 times
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

WerkSpace has your answer.

Nitrogen is dry and does a great job on stainless and aluminum, but, in my experience, dry air works better on carbon steels. There seems to be a real advantage to the 21% O2 content of "air" over nitrogen in cutting carbon steels.

I would look at ways to dry air local to the plasma cutter, if they're too cheap for an air-dryer for the shop air.

Steve S
Negativ3
    Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:25 am

Interesting solution WerkSpace, is it air in at the bottom, out at the top?
Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding is my personal signature dish.
Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

That's correct. It works well, but it can work better if you cool the air first.
Try to run a long length of air hose between the compressor and water separator.
or you can build a copper coil with a fan to cool it down. Cool air drops its moisture.
Negativ3 wrote:Interesting solution WerkSpace, is it air in at the bottom, out at the top?
The best way of getting rid of humidity is thru refrigeration.
As air cools, the moisture condenses and can be collected in a water trap.
The trap can be drained on a regular basis.
Attachments
Water separator.jpg
Water separator.jpg (69.17 KiB) Viewed 1021 times