Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Ricketts
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:17 am

Hey all,

Long time lurker, finally turned member here. I have a Snapon/Blue point YA5550A plasma cutter I've had for years. Haven't used it in awhile and went to use it yesterday, and no luck. Has power(lights on), has plenty of air(gauge currently reading 80psi). I hit button will arc for 1-2 seconds after first turned on, then just nothing but air. Let it sit for a few hours, try again will do same thing, might score 1 or 2 1-2 second arc burnt then........ nothing but air. All the consumables are brand new due to a buddy borrowing it and got them back in bad shape. If you look in photos you can see a burnt part that I didn't replace due to it appeared to be a non-replacable part except with a new torchhead. Could this burnt section be causing this issue? I also tried clamping it on numerous surfaces(steel, aluminum).

Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Not sure, but make sure the outer shroud is on tight. That's what shut down ours at school. Also, replace that broken bit. That never helps.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Every bit of that is replaceable.

I'd easily assume the fried bit in the picture is part of the problem.

Those heads can be replaced one part at a time (including the handle and switch).

Sourcing the parts is the challenge.

Steve S
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

I'm no expert on plasma cutters, but that looks like my son's trafimet torch and that melted piece is called a swirl ring. It's by far the priciest consumable in the torch.

It sounds like it's staying in pilot arc mode. Make sure everything is very dry. Ground the tip right to the part and see if it will cut. I also found that when I first try to cut with it, it does that a lot until it gets warm, then it's better.

Len

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Jason_alex
    Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:41 pm

Is it me or dose it look like that nozzle is showing off center burn markers?
Ricketts
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:17 am

Buddy is thinking the burnt section of the torch is causing the issue. Any other thoughts/opinions, I'd just hate to spend the $170 on the torch head and not fix a thing.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Hi - I used to have an almost identical Snap On plasma & I had a similar situation where I lent it to someone who tried cutting aluminum beyond the capacity of the machine - it came back in similar condition with a whole load of blow back damage - that insulator piece was not quite a bad as yours but the machine still worked with new consumables - I know you don't want to hear this but I think you are getting pilot arc only & no main cutting power probably due to internal damage from misuse - mine is a bit older than yours & had the plasma equivalent of " lift start " on the torch - only torch trouble I had was if the head did'nt slide correctly to ignite arc - yours I believe has HF - my theory is that are only getting this & the main cutting power which should continue the arc once started is not working ( it is HF right ? ) if not is the sliding part of the torch head moving correctly ? if the damage to the insulator is too much I would expect to still get a cut - but not a good one & maybe an off center / axis flame - the air pressure sounds too high - I'm nearly sure I remember mine needed between 50 > 60 psi if it was high or low it would'nt cut due to a pressure limit switch inside - worth checking pressure or bypassing switch.

If you do plan on changing torch to rule it out I believe both our plasmas are actually re-badged Cebora units ( something like Cebora pro-prof 50 I think in your case ) there are plenty of parts available from our good friends @ " Shop River " on Ebay - they have all the consumables plus torch heads & complete hose assemblies at very fair prices - I use them for many parts & have always been satisfied with service & quality I'll put a link to the one I think you need - but check for yourself before ordering - I would however advise trying to find a competent electrician to test the output first in case it's not torch related - best of luck fixing it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Air-plasma-CE ... 19cb558580