Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Countrywelder
    Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:45 pm

Any updates on the Powermax 30AIR? Someone must have been using one lately. Having it's own air supply makes it very portable. But, I'm always suspect of new anti-gravity technology that appears to run more equipment without any appreciable loss in power. I'm not from the "show me" state, but please show me in video. Inquiring minds want to know.
jimcolt
    Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:11 pm

The Powermax30 air does not have the same level of cutting power as its brother, the Powermax30XP in the Hypertherm product line. This is because the 30 air has to use some of the wall power to operate a compressor, where the compressorless 30XP (requires a separate compressor) applies all of the wall power to producing the energy to support the plasma cutting arc.

-They both produce the same 30 amps output, but at different load voltages, with the 30 air producing a lower load voltage. True cutting power is determined by multiplying amperage x voltage....which equals wattage. The 30 air produces 30 (amps) x 83 (load volts) = 2490 Watts of cutting power, the 30XP is 30 x 125 = 3750 Watts of cutting power, about a 50% increase.

-To make the 30 air more efficient, we had to redesign the torch to operate at lower voltage and with lower airflow, this allows us to dedicate more power to the cutting arc as opposed to compressing air. Different torch using unshielded consumables is used in the 30 air as compared to the shielded 30XP torch

-If you have compressed air already, the 30XP is more powerful and less expensive. If you don't have air...the 30 Air is the most powerful plasma cutter that will run on a 120 volt circuit (it will run more efficiently on 230 volt circuitry) on the market today.

Jim Colt Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6jYNxIDt58