Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
colorodan
    Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:52 pm

Hello Everyone;
I need help and hoping someone out there can provide me with assistance. Some time back, (12-15 years ago), I bought a Torchmate kit from Torchmate. The kind were you buy the required metal and weld it together. The kit consist of a transformer, ( like a model train type), swingarm and a magnet, which follows your metallic pattern. Then you may use a Oxy/acetelene down below to cut out your shape. At the time, I could not use it because my Oxy/acetelene torch was heavy duty and to heavy, so trying to pull the lever was to task. So I just set everything in the corner and just gave up on it. Keep in mind, the plasma cutters was just coming of age then, they were big bulky and expensive.
Well since then I now have two plasma cutters. I want to bring out the old torchmate and hook up a plasma cutter to it with a remote external switch allowing me to turn it on or off with a flick of the switch. I'm thinking I will have to go into the head of the plasma torch to do so. The theory here is like the CNC plasma system, plasma,computer,air compressor and table. I'm hoping I am making myself clear here.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome!

You'll notice I've moved your question to the "Metal Cutting" forum.

The Thermal Dynamics torch head is pretty simple. If you open it up, you'll see several wires, but only the two that go to the trigger switch concern you. You could disconnect the torch from the machine and probe the wires to see where they go, and wire your on/off at the machine, or simply run some wire back from the torch head down the lead to your remote switch.

There may be better ideas here, as someone may have done just what you're trying.

Steve S
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum colorodan.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
paul_s
    Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Jason_alex
    Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:41 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum, what model of plasma cutter are you using. I have worked with several of thermal dynamics plasmas, from the cutmaster A120 to older large industrial systems such as Merlin pac 15xc. Chances are you will go to the plasma cutter power source not to the head to control the on/off function. Let us know what model and we should be able to help you with this.
Jason_alex

Also are you looking at putting a THC on it or doing manual torch height?
colorodan
    Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:52 pm

Thanks guys for the great welcome and the replies;
I have two plasma cutters; the first being a older model from HTP America INC, (micro cut 500), and the second is a Chinese make Lotos LTPAC2500, combination 250amp tig, stick & plasma. The HTP cutter has the Thermo dynamic lead and head attached to it.
I will try and take some pic's and post them here shortly, standby.
Jason_alex

Sounds good, looking forward to seeing pictures