Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
shade-tree
    Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:29 am

I am ready to start plasma cutting for general hobby work and am trying to decide between the Miller Spectrum 375 X-TREME PLUS and the Spectrum 625 X-TREME PLUS. I’ve scoured the cutting topic and nobody has talked about performance at the light end of cutting. That is leading me to think that perhaps it is not an issue. My question is: What capabilities would I give up on the thinner side if I choose the 40A machine over the 30A machine? Most of my work will be on thinner stock (1/4” AISI 1020 down to 26 ga. 302 SS), but if it doesn’t hurt work quality, the convenience of occasionally cutting thicker stock would be welcome. The price difference is not the issue - it is machine capability at the low end. Are there any significant performance differences between the 40A and 30A machines? All opinions are welcome!
450dualsport
    Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:46 am

I have cut lots of thin steel and aluminum with my Powermax 45. I have even cut sheet aluminum that was only .035" thick. In all cases it worked very well and was almost as clean as a saw cut.

I looked seriously at the Millers but decided on the Hypertherm and I am glad that I did. Most of the material I cut is 1/4" or less, but it's nice to know that if I ever need to cut a piece of 1", it does a nice job on that as well.
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

I have the 625 and I cut both thin and thick (within its capacity) all the time. There is no compromise on performance at the thin end as far as I can tell.
Cheers.
-Eldon
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid
brokeitagain
    Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:16 am

from my machinist days..........
you can do small work with a big machine, but you cant do big work on a small machine
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

I run an Everlast Power Plasma 50 and cut everything from 1/2" to 20 gauge with it no problem and not even maxed out. I love it especially since it is under $1000. On the thin stuff you just need to move a little faster and I bought a cheap air chisel from harbor freight and it makes quick work of any dross.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
shade-tree
    Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:29 am

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Your input helped me decide on the larger machine. Plasma cutting appears to produce much cleaner cuts on both thick & thin stock than the OA I've been using, as long as you stay within its capabilities. Too bad it isn't as portable. But more toys is more fun. :D
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

As far as portability, I know Lincoln and Hobart make machines with built in air compressors so all you would need is a power source. Something to think about.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

I bought one of these OA torches 20 years ago. It works good.
http://www.cutlikeplasma.com/video_library.htm
shade-tree wrote:Thanks for the feedback, guys. Your input helped me decide on the larger machine. Plasma cutting appears to produce much cleaner cuts on both thick & thin stock than the OA I've been using, as long as you stay within its capabilities. Too bad it isn't as portable. But more toys is more fun. :D