Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
jasonknapp
    Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:02 pm

I live in new york and just finished the lincoln welding school ,i was told my cert in ohio would not be recognized in new york so what cert is recognized everywhere in the us,thank you(6G ,6010 root and hot pass 7018 out)
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

The state has little to do with it. (The exception is OK, which has a state licensing process.)

Most certifications are little more than "foot in the door" highlights on a resume'. Any job at journeyman pay will have an on-site test to certify you to the processes and WPS they'll require you to do. That Lincoln cert will help you get the interview and on-site test.

New York is a strong Labor Union state. Call a local hall and ask questions.

One set of certifications that carry weight almost everywhere are for ASME code welds. (Boilers, pressure piping, pressure vessels, etc.) The only cert. I've ever held, other than an in-house certification, is an ASME for cryogenic pressure vessels and piping.

Good luck (and congratulations on finishing school with a certificate!)

Steve S
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

new york city (until very recently) issued a dept of building structural welder's license. the test was administered at the dept of sanitation central repair shops in maspeth queens. i received mine in 1979 and all i had to do to renew it was mail in 5.00 (10.00 if i was late) to the dept of buildings every year. due to a rash of bad publicity surrounding crane collapses and a few scandals involving corrupt building inspectors and some inferior overseas welding on critical heavy equipment parts new york city decided to do away with "in-house testing" of it's welders and go with the a.w.s. standards. flash forward to today (june 2013) i just came back from a testing facility on long island n.y. where i re-tested for the first time in over 30 years. one specimen in the overhead position and another in the vertical. both one inch thick plate. all for the price of 850.00. that's a big jump from the 10 bucks i usually go for!! i read a few other message boards where i hear other welder's from around the country and canada talking about having to qualify on every job and dealing with picky inspectors and un realistic procedures and often wondered if i still had the skill to pass a test if i had to. after hearing my boss remark the other day that he would hate to see anyone lose their job because of failing this test i hope i can't help but think be careful about what you wish for!

Do you have your results, yet?

I know how this must SUCK out loud, waiting for some facility you've never heard of determining if you're qualified to do what you've been doing for many years...

The damn testing guy doesn't realize we spend our lives learning how to to the job right, not studying for some damn test!

Steve S
jwmacawful

no results yet. i just took the test several hours ago. i did luck out cause the guy who owns the place is a retired electrical utilities welder/q.a. guy. the facility was small and the atmosphere was very laid back so if i did have to re`qualify i couldn't have found a better place. i was a structural welder for many years then went to work for a large detention facility where all i've done for the past 25 plus years was maint. welding so to have to take this test 3 years before i retire was like a bad dream. i get the results on monday.

Well, friend,

Best of luck.

It sounds like you're golden, but I can't imagine having to retake a simple qualification a few years from retirement!

Steve S
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
jwmacawful

thanks for the encouragement guys! having to take this test so close to retirement is some bogus b.s!
jwmacawful

update: just got the results of my test last nite. passed!

jwmacawful wrote:update: just got the results of my test last nite. passed!
Cool! I figured you would, but there's always that grain of doubt, when some idiot asks you to prove you know what you're doing. And, anyone who's had to qualifiy for two or three jobs a year will tell you, you can have an "off" day when testing. Allergies acting up is enough, sometimes... :lol:

Steve S
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

JwMacAwful.

My gut feeling was that you were going to do okay ... but to ward off the evil eye ... it is better to not say anything.
So now ... you can share some of your tips and tricks accumulated over all those years.

Waiting.
Alexa
jwmacawful

update on the nyc welder license requalification issue. after laying out the dough for the aws structural test and some tense moments waiting for the results I now hear retesting won't be necessary. go figure?!
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

jwmacawful wrote:update on the nyc welder license requalification issue. after laying out the dough for the aws structural test and some tense moments waiting for the results I now hear retesting won't be necessary. go figure?!
=====

Jwmacawful.

Everything has its pros and cons.

So ... did anything positive concerning welding turn out from the episode?

Alexa
jwmacawful

one good thing that came out of this whole license fiasco is now I have an additional certification and this one is recognized everywhere which may come in handy as i'm going to be dividing my time between ny and florida.

jwmacawful wrote:... i'm going to be dividing my time between ny and florida.
Sounds like every Jewish retiree I ever met near Melbourne.

:)

Steve S
jwmacawful

i'm sure that's a slight exaggeration down under as well as here.

Well, I meant Melbourne, FL, so you be the judge...

:lol:
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Not a great deal of jewish retires in the melbourne aus area, remember its southern hemisphere so they head north hear. Still not sure if theres much of anything jewish over here. Not it community numbers anyway . lol

Mick
jwmacawful

flocks of Canadians ducking the freezing winters in balmy florida
ONEDEADLYVENOM
    Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:47 pm

congrats my friend:) I will be in that same boat in a few weeks.
I have to get re-certified in the Boston area.
jwmacawful

ONEDEADLYVENOM wrote:
good luck to you. it's a pita for sure!
jwmacawful

ONEDEADLYVENOM wrote:
so? what's the scoop about the re-qualifying test in boston? what's it consist of??