Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
Joejack1123
    Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:16 pm

So I'm a new member think the the site is great and all the videos were helpful just have a quick question. I am currently 20 years old and have 1/12 years experience mig tig and stick but can't seem to find a Job now because everyone wants 5 years experience and all the guys that get on in the apprenticeship seem to be related jus wondering if anyone had some wise wisdom to give

Thanks

Jo
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Where about are you located or are you willing to travel?

Mick
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, Jo,

You've found a good site. No BS here.

You're right, it's hard to break out with limited experience. Don't be afraid to exaggerate your experience (not your skills). Always be able to do anything you promise, but don't be afraid to exaggerate how you got there.

Once you prove yourself, the little white lie is meaningless. The "salesman's rule" applies... underpromise, and overdeliver.

Accept that you may have to work in a shop for a while. Even a crappy shop. It pads your resume' with "time on job". Just choose a shop that does what you want to do. Don't work for the railroad if you want to weld pipe. Don't work for a boiler shop if you want to weld structure. Etc.

I welded for fifty cents above minimum wage for almost a year. That time got me my next job. I've since made six figures welding. The patience pays off.

It's not so different from the union apprenticeship; You're working your way up from the beginning, either way.

Steve S
ajlskater1
    Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:32 am

Otto has good advice. That's how k got started. I started at a sheet metal shop just to get experience. It didn't pay much much but it wad a good way to learn and get experience and in those types of embodiments withing hard and making good parts pays. I became the lead Guy there in a year just by working hard and doing good work. That experience has now opened other doors for me in more advanced welding.