Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
Itburnsus
    Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:38 pm

I'm due to take a F4 Downhand (E7018 rod) CARBON TIG F6/F4 2" XXH test shortly.

I'm looking for more experienced folks to give any tips on the above test such as recommended root opening, land.
Also the "downhand" has thrown me a bit of a curveball, does it refer to stoving or welding on the flat as in the pipe will be rotated, i have'nt come across the term before.

Thanks in advance.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Okay---

If it's TIG, it's more likely to be E70-S2, a Flux-free TIG wire. 7018 is a stick-rod, usually designated ER7018. Unless they want you to beat the flux off a 7018 and use it, in which case I'd run and not look back... That's an emergency "MacGuyver" trick.

"Downhand" means your weld progression will be from the highest point of the weld to the lowest, or "downhill".

Ask for the WPS for the test. It will give you a range of acceptible gap, bevel angle, land, power range, literally everything permissible for the test.

F6 is a pipe to plate weld at 45*. F4 is an overhead fillet.

So your description is confusing me a little... Must be a shipyard??

Steve S
Itburnsus
    Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:38 pm

Thanks for your reply Otto, having looked into it, the F6/F4 seems indicate the type of filler material used, with F6 being a fluxless wire i.e. 70s2 or similar, with the F4 being the 7018.

All of my welding would have been progressing bottom to top of the pipe so it's the "downhand" part that's throwing me, i did read that sometimes "downhand" can refer to welding on the flat, but it can also refer to stoving i guess, i just thought it unusual either way.

At the minute that's all the info i have on the test, what's in the title is a copy/paste of the info i have been given, if it's any help this is for Canadian certification.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Consider the possibility that the description was written by some one who had no real idea what they are talking about, like a Human Resource person,

Mick
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:30 pm

weldin mike 27 wrote:Hey,

Consider the possibility that the description was written by some one who had no real idea what they are talking about, like a Human Resource person,

Mick
Isn't that the truth!

Go break something, then you can weld it back the right way.

Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

Too many meanings for one term!

I'm not familiar with the jargon for Canadian certifications, so I look forward to finding out what this test is really composed of.

BTW, Mike's right... I've encountered inaccurate test descriptions written by the HR people, who wrote what they "thought" they heard, without any understanding of welding processes.

Steve S
BenJackson
    Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:44 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote: If it's TIG, it's more likely to be E70-S2, a Flux-free TIG wire. 7018 is a stick-rod, usually designated ER7018. Unless they want you to beat the flux off a 7018 and use it, in which case I'd run and not look back...

HaHaHA!!!

Done that! Welded pipe supports without changing equipment!

Interesting take on 7018 TIG... :D

Steve S