Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
rossco_argus
    Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:41 am

Sitting gmaw 5018 practical tests this week, having issues with 3 run capping on horizontal 2g pipe.
Running 13m/m wire speed, 28 volts, 187 amps spray transfer, stick out 16mm, great fusion and nice hot runs but despite travel speed being quick still getting lumps and bumps between passes not the flat face profile that i want, running root and hot pass at 90 deg, 1st cap run at 30 deg, 2nd cap run at 90 deg, final pass at 45 deg.
Any advice on what i can do to prevent any future crap welds.

Ta rossco
Relearning to weld to certification level after 7 year break. Never been so frustrated with myself before, I know that i can do this just need to get my eye in.
rossco_argus
    Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:41 am

Bead profile 9- 10 mm face ,8 to 12 mm height, reinforcement 2 to 5 mm
Do i require to change my travel speed, torch angle or stick out length to prevent weld from falling down and peaking too much ideally i do not want to alter my settings as my amps and peno are spot on.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Have patience.

There aren't that many here with spray-transfer experience, but those who do have it know their stuff. Our members circle the globe, so don't expect an answer on "local time" necessarily...

Steve S
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

With the spray arc, you need to account for the larger fluid puddle, Make you filler run/s a little further below the surface, at least a mm. Point the gun upwards so to counter act the gravitational effect on the puddle, also make sure that you boogie along. just let the lower edge of the puddle Just nip the bottom edge and move quick as any hesitation will result in a blob of metal because of the high wire speed. You dont wait for the pool to fill, just run smooth and fast and it should come out good.

Mick