Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

It is my understanding that on some of the new Inverter machines you can stick weld using the TIG foot pedal to control amperage.............anyone ever do this ???
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I've stick-welded with a dedicated TIG machine. An eighth-inch collet will hold an eighth in rod just fine. Don't need gas, of course. ;) Same for 3/32 rod and collets.

I did not have the luxury of a remote amp control, though, so I can't speak to the possible benefits from experience.

My thoughts are: With a 1/8" 7018 for example, I never weld below 105A or above 120A, so that is a very narrow window of heat to control. It seems impractical, unless you make some modifications in the foot-pedal circuitry (not too challenging) where the pedal becomes the top portion of a voltage-divider, so that zero pedal is, say, 80% of full current and full pedal is 100%.

A typical foot-pedal has a 1Kohm potentiometer. If this were replaced with a 100 ohm pot. in series with a 900 ohm resistor (yes, electronic buffs, I know that's not a standard size--it's an example) on the "ground" side, then when the machine is set for 100A, the pedal would vary the current between 90 and 100.

I'm not sure there would be a practical advantage, though, as it adds a level of complexity to stick-welding that it hasn't seemed to need.

I'll be interested in what others have to say.

Steve S.
Svetsare
    Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:54 am

Hello guys, iam a new here, and I dont speak english so good, but i hope
that you can understand even a half what i am trying to say. :D

I am a welder in northern europe, we use remote controls allways when we weld with stick welder.
We have a remote control in other hand and a stick holder in other, so we can change amperage when we weld.
This is very usefull especially when welding, a 2mm thin stainless steel pipes.
Personally I wouldnt weld anything without a remote controll. :)

I hope that you understand what i am trying to say here :D
I would be happy to answer any questions you might have. :)
GWD
    Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:50 pm

Your English is just fine. Better than some native speakers (writers) in fact. :mrgreen:
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey there,

I have seen pictures of using remotes in one hand while stick welding. Mainly in catalogs of esab and sandvik. May i say that it takes stick welding skill to a whole new level. My hat comes off to you, sir.

Mick
Svetsare

Well thank you very much for your compliment, but I really think that I have a lot of learning, in speaking and writing english :D

I just cant understand why remote contols are not used worldwide.
It improves welding quality, and makes it a lot easier to weld.
Just cant see no reason why not to use it. :)
av8r
    Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:23 am

I have a CC/CV multiprocess welder. For CC (constant current SMAW or Stick) there are two settings. 1) With foot pedal and 2) Without foot pedal. I don't have a foot pedal, even for TIG welding. I use scratch start or lift start for TIG or GTAW. My understanding is that on my welder CC-Foot Pedal only controls the arc on and off. That is, there is no amperage adjustment. I understand that the same 14-pin connector can accept a rheostat that would control the amperage remotely from 20 amps below the machine setting up to the machine setting. I think that would be great if you were up on a ladder or scaffold and can't position the welder near you. I don't weld that regularly and I have gotten somewhat used to controlling the weld using travel speed and arc length. Having the foot pedal would probably really confuse me. I admire those guys who are true artists and can manage all the variables, welding upside down in cold blowing wind and make it look perfect.
Perpetual stick/TIG welding student (or master of molten metal massacre)
Miller XMT304
BDoubleU

Have seen Tig, Stick & even Mig done with a foot pedal remote. In most cases, the machine doesn't know what type of remote you're using - it sees contact closure telling the arc to start & then looks at the remote voltage reference to control the output. The benefit? I've seen some pretty nice tail-outs ... And some awesome aluminum Mig welds made with a foot pedal. The trick was to keep the remote constant or steady throughout the weld & back off during the crater. This was on a Fronius unit ... And it made some nice welds.

Some new equipment may not allow it. Depending on the unit, manufacturers will sometimes ignore a remote in Stick mode or will limit functionality. In the old days, machines were toggles & relays ... But today's machines use software to control just about everything.
weldfusion.com
Svetsare

I cant understand everything you say. Machines we use in europe have finger remotes, that works from 0-100 % and you can change amperage just how you want while you weld.
The benefits are great, personally I wouldnt weld without a remote. Especially if I have to weld open root weld, pipe welds, stainless steel.. etc.
I havent got a change to use a foot pedal. I weld at factories and I havent ever even seen one and I dont know how it works.
Welding machines that I have used are made by Kemppi, Esab and Fronius.
Great machines all, but best stick welder I know is Kemppi, especially Kemppi minarcs.