Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Rickzzz
    Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:10 pm

As a novice I almost feel like I'm cheating. I tried some of US Forge Specialty electrodes (STEEL) 3/32". For those who havn't tried these or know of these...these electrodes are for occasional welders like hobbyist, farmers or just DYI. Sticking is almost totally eliminated...a novice like myself can strike an arc almost like a pro and spattering is next to none. Although I have now discovered these electrodes, I am finally mastering the art of stiking an arc almost every time with 6011s (almost every time...I repeat). I want to be able to do just like the big boys do....Ha ha Thanks....Rickzzz
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Interesting...

Claims 85 KPSI tensile while welding through dirt, rust, and crap, with an "AC buzzbox". (Quote from an Amazon ad)

That's a bit of a stretch.

Even if it welds like butter, those claims are outrageous.

BTW, "US Forge" is a Chinese company.
echosixmike
    Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:03 am

Thought US Forge was a Messer product for Menard's house brand? S/F....Ken M
Red: PowerMIG 300, Square Wave 175
Blue: DEL200, Syncro250, XMT300
Green: STH160
Black: Tweco 181i Fabricator
Oddball: Craftsman HF unit
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

What doesn't come from China these days?
I live near a railway and five times per day, 90% of the really long line of rail cars are from China. Talk about an economy killer...

Having said that, I remember a few years ago, I was stick welding with my Lincoln V100-S lunch box sized inverter and I was having trouble with the rods. They really didn't like the square wave of the inverter. So, I went to my local welding supplier and got some samples of lots of different rods. Some worked better than others, but a friend of mine from China gave me two boxes of rods that some Chinese workers had left behind when they went back to China. The rods were very bizarre and the flux coating resembled sawdust, but they worked absolutely perfect on the square wave inverter. The job that I was doing was not too critical, so they did the job.

I bought a lot of pallet racks from a friend for the cost of scrap metal. I resized these pallet racks to narrow them, so that they would fit the clearance of my garage door. My garage shelving is 10ft in height, 2ft depth and runs the length of the garage. I put engines and transmissions up on this shelving with my LiftRite forklift. There must be at least 2,000lbs if not more on the rack. The welds are strong and this idea freed up a lot of floor space. I also make portable work tables out of pallet racks. So, as much as we like to knock stuff made in China, sometimes it gets the job done.
Rickzzz
    Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:10 pm

Don't know if this clears anything up , but US Forge's parent company is Messer World. Don't know if that is a chinese company or not. US Forge is located in Minomonee Falls, WI and the electrodes I purchased were marked "Proudly Made In The USA". Called them regarding the 5 lb. boxes of the Specialty Electrodes and where they were available (everyone seems to stock the 1 lb. packets only)....I was told in my area the easiest thing to do was to have Menard's special order them for me.
echosixmike
    Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:03 am

OK, that jives with what I've heard/read. I shop at Menards because it stocks a lot of US products. S/F.....Ken M
Red: PowerMIG 300, Square Wave 175
Blue: DEL200, Syncro250, XMT300
Green: STH160
Black: Tweco 181i Fabricator
Oddball: Craftsman HF unit
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I spoke too quickly earlier...

"Central Forge" is the Chinese company I was thinking of, not "U.S. Forge".

I apologize for maligning the wrong company.

I'm still going to have to investigate those claims...

Steve S
zjtins
    Wed May 01, 2013 10:05 am

I have tried some and the exact opposite results, sticking spatter, poor arc control.
I have A/C only and the Lincoln rods seem the best by far. Hobart is good.
Turn out Lowes is carrying Lincoln again so I am in welders heaven.