Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
chadwarden
    Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:36 am

On a lot of welding forums and videos, I see that 7018s are pretty much the go to rods for structural welds (with the exception of 6010s for pipe root passes). But today my TAFE teacher told me that 7018s are no longer used in Australia and that pretty much all structural welds with stick are done with 7016s. Is this true? How different are Australian and American standards? Will I be at some disadvantage for using 7016s instead of 7018s in class? Thanks in advance.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

I dont know if they are entirely no longer used. A very good brand of 7016 here in australia is the WIA 16 TC. Tc stands for twin coat they are appaerntly very good for vert up.

Mick
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

Hey,

Working on a little info for ya. Ill get back to ya.

Mick

Hey,

I asked around abit and the general feel is that 7016 is a little easier to handle in out of position welds and welds with tight preps, like gouged grooves on repaired welds because of less slag. A mate said they are even awesome for vert down sheet metal. Another good point is that because 7018 has a bit of iron powder in them, they weld faster and bosses like that.

My advice is learn both and be ready to use both, when required , but use your favourite when you have the choice.

That was only 2 peoples opinion , but they both leaned towards 7016.

Hope this helps.
Mick
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

Chadwarden.

The selection of filler metals is vast.

The standard, AWS A5.1 Carbon Steel Electrodes for SMAW, classifies the electrodes using a numbering system.
The E7016 and E7018 are simply two 'general' classifications of electrodes.
Within each of those classifications, there are many options.

Some filler metal manufacturing companies will have various 'brands' of E7016 and various 'brands' of E7018, and each electrode will give different results. Often there are suffixes added to the end of the classification to give additional information about that particular brand of electrodes. It is important to look at the data sheet of that particular brand to have a clearer picture.

In a very general sense, E7018 electrodes are more productive in that they deposit considerably more weld metal when compared to the same sized E7016.

Some filler metal companies offer brands of E7016 for welding one sided root passes. For example, if there are requirements for very low hydrogen in the first pass, then a manufacturer might develop a welding procedure using the E7016 for the root pass, instead of a E7010 which allows more hydrogen.

I'd venture to say that in Australia there is major supplying of both E7016 and E7018 ... depending upon the need.

Alexa
chadwarden
    Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:36 am

All right, then. Thanks a lot for the info guys. Really appreciate it.

Hey,

Pleasure, hope it helps

Mick