Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Wow really sorry to hear that - never heard of it being that bad - only when hot metal / slag gets on the eye - I hope in time you regain full sight - I only see properly in one eye after a long metal shard got cut out of my right eye some years back & it grew a huge scar dead center of the pupil - arc flash I'm almost immune to - I welded last week with an auto dark that is shade 4 when switched off that I'd taken the battery out of & never noticed ! actually thought wow I can see better than normal today ! - downside is I had to weld round a thin wall 4" pipe with stick through an access door on a boat using a mirror for most of it - man I blamed the eyesight - but it's been that long since I did any & having Dyspraxia makes it harder - it kinda reminded me of when you see a 5year old got hold of some make up & trying to put it on in the mirror like Mum does ! - other than practice any tricks to mirror welding you guys know ?
wheresmejumper
    Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:14 pm

Fronius are as good as it gets.
they have a model similar to the miller maxstar 150, called the TransPocket 1500.
150 amps,10lbs, but will run 6010 perfectly.
Dancing with the blue lady
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

John I think I must have. I learned to weld with a flip front passive helmet and stick welder. I don't know how many times I would get too close to the metal before flipping the lens down. I have probably flashed myself a thousand times without trouble but that time got me good. I think that a bb flew out of there arc and got me as well as the flash because I have a little hole right where my cornea meets my pupil. Now I am sensitive to light because the cornea doesn't react as quickly as it use to. I am getting better but I have learned my lesson.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

I always wear my clear safety specs and have never had a problem. Stupidly look at arcs too.

Mick