Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Those who are interested in electrodes from other countries or just rods that you can't get readily where you are at, this is set up to privately exchange between one another. Those that want to participate please put up what you have and what you would like in exchange. This is for educational purposes only and not as a business dealing or a way to make money. Please keep actual transactions limited to PM and absolutely no personal contact information on this thread.

First up for me, I would like a very good quality and name brand (for you) 1/8" 6013 maybe 1-5lbs from Europe or Oz. In exchange I can get whatever electrode you would like.

Edit: It is best to just agree on electrode type and weight/count that each wants and just ship to the other party. This eliminates any money transactions. Remember, this is a gentlemen's agreement.
-Jonathan
Last edited by Superiorwelding on Sat May 03, 2014 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I think, with the debate on the qualities of differing rods, and the varying uses in our member nations, this is an excellent idea!

I would suggest, when shipping internationally, if the rods aren't in a sealed tin, to put them in a hermetic plastic "poster tube" with a dessicant pack, so they arrive in the same shape they were shipped.

I would also suggest giving a very detailed description of how the rods are used in your nation. For example, I've seen several members who use remote amp controls with stick-welding, which is unheard of in the U.S.

I look forward to seeing the results of this international rod exchange, and if it's popular, I'' ask our webmaster to make a special place for it.

Steve S

First exchange!! I have agreed to send 6010 5P+ and 5P to another forum user in exchange for some SS electrodes!!
-Jonathan
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

I'd like to get maybe 10lbs of Vodax or Bolher 6013, 1/8 and 5/32.

Maybe trade for some 1/8 7018 that I have.

Send me a PM, and we'll talk shipping.

Thanks,

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

We are like pioneers. I have a pack and send near me, so i will enquire as to int. postage costs. :-)

Mick

Mick
I will do the same. Maybe if we can get a rough idea for price per lb or size that will help everyone out.
-Jonathan
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I will try & find out next week about UK > USA prices - but with the weight of rods & taxes etc I think it will be very expensive just to try out something different & if you like what you swap how would you get any more ? - it's an interesting idea though & shows a high level of trust between people who only know each other as " Jodie followers " ( steady - that almost sounded like he started a cult ! )

Hey,

Lets not forget that the idea is "try" so the need for a pound or five is more likely to be Ten rods, total. Lets not get carried away.

mick
wheresmejumper
    Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:14 pm

10lbs of vodex or bohler supplied and shipped to US would be probably $130-$150 as an example.
might be better to try a pound of something first?
Dancing with the blue lady
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

I was thinking about the cost too. Maybe as a side idea(or in addition to this) we can make up a list of some international welding suppliers? That way you could buy the rod directly from the supplier, and maybe get a better deal on shipping?

I know I'm having a hell of a time finding a good, reputable online welding supplier. It's a pain in the butt to get material considering my LWS isn't open on the weekends and by the time I get off work their closed :( Been reduced to amazon.com..which isn't the worst thing in the world honestly.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?

Remember this is not limited to swapping across the pond. A good example would be those who would like to try some 99%nickel rod, but don't want to spend the $300 for a 10lb box. Some of us here have access to or have vast amounts of rod that the hobbiest does not have.
-Jonathan
echosixmike
    Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:03 am

I've got some strange old Japanese stainless rod that I acquired, I'll check on the exact details when I get home. IIRC it's either 308 or 309, 3/32". I'll be happy to send some sticks off for somebody skilled to play with. If I can recall my thinking when I got it, I planned it for "aw crap" repair type work for 115v. The one time I played with it, ran good at about 65 amps. S/F.....Ken M
Red: PowerMIG 300, Square Wave 175
Blue: DEL200, Syncro250, XMT300
Green: STH160
Black: Tweco 181i Fabricator
Oddball: Craftsman HF unit
Heavy Metal
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:33 am

I believe I have one or two old old 3/16" 6010 or 6012 "braided flux" ASBESTOS electrodes. Anyone want one?

Hey,

Anyone from anywhere interested in swapping a few silicon bronze tig rods for some Aussie stick rods? Various 6013s6012s 316ss or whatever other crap i can scrounge up? Sil bro is dear as poison here, upwards of 75 bucks for 1 kg plus i dont need that much to play with.

Mick

weldin mike 27 wrote:Hey,

Anyone from anywhere interested in swapping a few silicon bronze tig rods for some Aussie stick rods? Various 6013s6012s 316ss or whatever other crap i can scrounge up? Sil bro is dear as poison here, upwards of 75 bucks for 1 kg plus i dont need that much to play with.

Mick
I am game!
-Jonathan

I wanted to update everyone on the electrode exchange. I have successfully exchanged 6010's and 8010's for some SS rods. In total the package was 3 lbs and cost approx. $23.00 US to ship to Finland. My wife though I was crazy to ship electrodes to someone I have never met and do not even know if they shipped their items. My reply was I trust those here and we agreed to a gentleman's agreement. I am one that lives off trust and if I feel someone that wants to exchange cannot be trusted I simply will not exchange.
I am open for anything else as well. I was thinking again that this could be used for basically anything that others want from various parts of the world. I will exchange anything to anywhere with in reason. PM me and we will work something out.
-Jonathan

If only the would worked more like this, there would be a lot less trouble. :-)
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

weldin mike 27 wrote:If only the would worked more like this, there would be a lot less trouble. :-)
Maybe someday.

Distrust is a natural human trait. A self-preservation thing. Internet groups like this, that put hundreds of strangers in the same room in complete safety, are a big step forward, but evolution has trained us genetically to distrust others. It will likely take generations to overcome this.

I regret I won't live long enough to see the free exchange of (and access to) knowledge and opinion lead to it's fruition.

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:
weldin mike 27 wrote:If only the would worked more like this, there would be a lot less trouble. :-)
Maybe someday.

Distrust is a natural human trait. A self-preservation thing. Internet groups like this, that put hundreds of strangers in the same room in complete safety, are a big step forward, but evolution has trained us genetically to distrust others. It will likely take generations to overcome this.

I regret I won't live long enough to see the free exchange of (and access to) knowledge and opinion lead to it's fruition.

Steve S
I am not sure I will live to see it either, if it ever happens.
This is one thing I love about this forum, no one here is purposely leading someone astray on answers, no distrust on an exchange that is unheard of anywhere else, to my knowledge.
Before I joined this family, I remember thinking that forums were places that people lead others astray on their answers and where flaming took place on a daily basis. I got this misconception from other friends and was a little scared when I did sign up thinking I would get made fun of for questions or posts I made. My first post here was the "Cracked Welds" from long ago and Steve immediately took me under his wing so to speak and I fell in love with this place. Ok enough sentiment.
-Jonathan

I didnt join this forum for ages because of the bad rep of other internet forums.

When i looked at it, i found it was like a lazy sunday afternoon bbq with some beers more than another internet pissing match.

Mick

Just thought I would pull this post back up and see if there is anyone interested in a exchange. Again, I can get about anything readily available to us in the United States. It does not have to be electrodes either.
-Jonathan
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

Jonathan I will give you a 20' piece of 1-1/2", 1/8" thick angle iron for a good AC/DC tig welder :lol:
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt

mcoe wrote:Jonathan I will give you a 20' piece of 1-1/2", 1/8" thick angle iron for a good AC/DC tig welder :lol:
Let me think that one over for a while..... :lol:
-Jonathan
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Just give him that big 600 amp power source with the wire feed on it! It'd be a fair trade!
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-

GreinTime wrote:Just give him that big 600 amp power source with the wire feed on it! It'd be a fair trade!
Yeah, especially since he couldn't use it :lol:
-Jonathan