Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
jkey383
    Wed May 07, 2014 12:47 am

HELP!!!!! My Lincoln 305g is dropping the voltage and fluctuating and really just performing badly. I sent it in to Coastal and they said they load banked it and checked it out and found nothing wrong. Suggested inspect ground. I bought all new connections, ground on pipe to connect ground and same problem. I am wondering if I am not doing something wrong. I have no problem at school welding. Could they be lying to me and did not check it? looking at new machine. Have no time for this. Going to buy a Miller this time. Should it have a break in?
paul_s
    Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 pm

Welcome to the forum. Sorry I can't help about the machine problem.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Are you welding with it??

What process???

What amperage, Setting???

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

While I am not exactly sure what is wrong with the machine, I can tell you there is not a break in period on a machine. Maybe out of personal preference but not from the manufacture.
Edit: Ok didn't realize this was a generator welder, maybe a break in does apply :oops:
-Jonathan
Last edited by Superiorwelding on Mon May 12, 2014 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Tue May 28, 2013 11:10 am
    Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts

A buddy of mine has a 305-G, sweet machine. I know the new ones have an issue with filling the gas tank to the top. It washes the cylinder walls, and the engines life is shortened.

I have a passion for Lincoln SA-200 8-) . Bill's Welder Repair recommends on a rebuild to not go past 3rd gear for the first 50-hours. And at 50-hours change the oil. After that let her rip.
http://billswelderrepair.com/SA-200.html

kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Does it do it immediately upon striking an arc, every time? How does it sound during idle/load? How many hours are on it?
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
jkey383

Only has 65 hours on it. It will do it after about 10 minutes of welding. The amp meter will fluctuate up and down and will not arc for about 10 minutes. I am not looking at this with hopes of it being fixed anytime soon. Tomorrow buying new Miller bobcat 250. Need to get to practicing now and not another 6 weeks from now. Need to work. Also., I am welding 6010 on root pass and will do it when tigging. does not make any sounds different than normal revving. Mechanic of 30 years or so does not speak favorably of the electronics on these.
kermdawg

Sounds like something with the duty cycle. I'm not sure how the duty cycle system itself works, maybe a bad temperature sensor? Anyway, sounds defective to me.

65 hours you should still have some kind of warrenty eh?
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Do you have a warranty??

Or did you buy it used??
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
kermdawg

Said it has 65 hours on it. Even if he bought it "used" its hardly used. Although if the guy sold it with that many hours on it, probably obvious something was messed up on it.
jkey383

It was new when I bought it 4 years ago. Just sitting in shop. Been working and just recently had time to get back into welding. Bought a new bobcat 250 today. Welds like a dream. Getting used to it. I really love it.