Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:18 pm

Awritey then....Still alive but barely.....lol...Finally my whinin about doin pipe musta wore um down...Got transfered a week ago..I'm LOVIN it.....Started on thru pipe...Then got to fab & weld some hangers...Finally got to weld some flanges......This pipe is the SHIT...hahahahahahha...Oh yea..Sold the 56 two days later..doubled my money.....I think theres an XMT on the wish list...LMAO....
Attachments
2014-04-29_09-40-32_893.jpg
2014-04-29_09-40-32_893.jpg (57.28 KiB) Viewed 1552 times
2014-04-29_09-40-19_526.jpg
2014-04-29_09-40-19_526.jpg (23.47 KiB) Viewed 1552 times
2014-04-12_10-58-55_841 (1).jpg
2014-04-12_10-58-55_841 (1).jpg (43.85 KiB) Viewed 1552 times
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Good for you man! :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Mike,
I was just thinking of you the other day. Glad things are working out for you. Those welds look awesome. I still can't believe how far you have come. Keep up the great welds and keep us posted.
-Jonathan
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Go knock it out!

(the slogan from Jody's latest shirt)

Congratulations, and keep it going!

Steve S

Thanks Dave..Jonathan..Steve..Gota confess tho...That wasa roll weld...bt 5-12...I cheated I know....There was some undercut & the restarts "sucked" to me....BUT....I'll live with it till somethin better comes along......Now that I see what invironment & positions Im havin to weld in....When I go home..i can duplicate ..I'm gettin 1/4" channel stuck to 3/32 backing straps for pipe clamps....6" off the floor....Havin to bend the rod to be at the right angle of attack....kinda sucks..but..its the REAL world shit I guess.Tomorrow I get a crack at 1 1/4 stainless pipe...I been fittn for this guy..And tommorow he's gona let me taka crack at tign some....I'll probly fail miserably....BUTTTT...IT'S STILL COOL as hell...I wanted it & I got it...Just like I ask for....Thanks again for the props guys......

well gang....my gigs over..and Im dam glad of it.....bout wore my ol ass out.....it was cool tho....learned alota cool stuff ...and boned up on my beads....the toughest was 18 gage garbage tin i had to use as toe plate on a couple holes i had run
1 3/8 stainless pipe thru....thank goodness I had an XMT 350 to use...ran 3/32 6011's down hill an burnt thru a couple times from bobblin...2 outa 8 sides wasnt bad i figured....finally got it dialed in at 56 amps & 20% dig..as long as i never hesitated they came out nice...no p***y holes anyway....least thats wat the welders called um..LOL....How things with you guys ???any new "tattoo's"...I know I got a couple from some overheads i was on...Bit me 3 times goin down my sock...lmao...Have any of you guys seen or heard of the new Power arc 280 from everlast ????? sounds exactly like somethin I want....Maybe we can hound steve to get jody to do a review....The vids everlast puts out really suck!!!! If your tryin to sell a new product..kinda makes sense to get a guy that can "really" weld to do um...Kno wat i mean????...I'll post some pics of my projects wen I get coherent again...Kinda brain dead from 21/2 months straight....
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Hey bro what did you think of that XMT? I ran one for a while and I hated it compared to my little PoS Everlast. Guess that stuff they say about Miller is right gotta run 20 amps hotter compared to anything else. Just don't think you should be sticking an 1/8" 6010 at 110 amps.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?

Hey kerm....Im no expert by any means..I just started this welding thing....they hada six pack upstairs....mostly runin off big 40 D's on the deck....used a couple different machines...one of them just seemed to have a more friendly arc to me...1/8 inch 18 excalibers were up to 140 sometimes..to get um layin down nice flowing beads..some 115/120..my little everlast did great at 105 for 7018..in the 60's for 3/32....then i got on a diferent xmt.....it was smooth all around..set it to were it jst barely stuck sometimes then tweak the dig an it was really nice for me anyway...that machine was hardly ever available..I think i saw why..lol....jumpin from one to the other was a great learning exp for me....up to that point all id ever played with was my 160 sth......im really interested in the 280 as my 160 don't like 6010's...id never seen what they could do till i got to this job...they splatter like hell but man can you do all kinds a stuff with um...lol
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

mike boyer wrote:well gang....my gigs over..and Im dam glad of it.....bout wore my ol ass out.....it was cool tho....learned alota cool stuff ...and boned up on my beads....the toughest was 18 gage garbage tin i had to use as toe plate on a couple holes i had run
1 3/8 stainless pipe thru....thank goodness I had an XMT 350 to use...ran 3/32 6011's down hill an burnt thru a couple times from bobblin...2 outa 8 sides wasnt bad i figured....finally got it dialed in at 56 amps & 20% dig..as long as i never hesitated they came out nice...no p***y holes anyway....least thats wat the welders called um..LOL....How things with you guys ???any new "tattoo's"...I know I got a couple from some overheads i was on...Bit me 3 times goin down my sock...lmao...Have any of you guys seen or heard of the new Power arc 280 from everlast ????? sounds exactly like somethin I want....Maybe we can hound steve to get jody to do a review....The vids everlast puts out really suck!!!! If your tryin to sell a new product..kinda makes sense to get a guy that can "really" weld to do um...Kno wat i mean????...I'll post some pics of my projects wen I get coherent again...Kinda brain dead from 21/2 months straight....
Mike,
Glad to hear from you again!! I am glad you liked your stint. I have used the XMT and it ran very well. It has been to long to remember specifics but I ran a suitcase, stick welded, and air arced off of it (if I recall correctly)
Now that you have more experience you have to get some current pictures of your welds or start a thread teaching how to do a 6G or something. :D
-Jonathan

6G huh???? LMAO....In my dreams Jonathan....But...Tell ya what ....One of the Germans that put me in the pipe dept..Hooked me up with some 6" sch 80 carbon & some 1 3/8 stainless...and some 4" ss.....Gota bt 10' of everthing....I WILL be able to weld this in a month.... Swingin by a friends in ala an gna rent a small place with a garage.....and do nothin but practice & chill...My Boss showed me the basics of fitting..2 holeing, layout, fitment...I layd out my first fire suppression system the last week I was there....Being a machinist/toolmaker most of my life...Numbers are my friends...lol...They freaked when they saw my scratch pad had decimals on it......LOL..It wasa blast actually runnin it an seein everything hit perfect....This pipe is the SHIT baby...I loved it....boss told me wat to buy book/tool wise.....after seein how they ran, I bought 2 metabos ..1's an 6" rt model & 1's a 6" quick....Leaves my little dewalt in the dust...... I watched the SS welders every chance I got..Talked to everyone that layd down a sweet bead...Talked to 1 of the union foreman out there..Gave me a buncha pointers an sm pipe....He cracked me up when I ask him, how did a guy like me get on....AND I quote...Go home & practice ur ass off...when I could do what I saw being done....Rite up a resume..and lie your ass of...when you get here..if you can weld..we'll keep ya...if you cant..your ass is right back out the gate...lmao..swear those were his exact words..He was cool....6G ???In a bit..not yet tho...BUT I WILL be able to in a little while...Cuz i wont quit till i get what I want...lol...I'll keep you guys posted..Good to type to ya again...LMAO......Mike
    Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:05 am

Hi Mike

That did come out well, BRAVO

Adam

Thanks Adam...I see your in Santa-Rosa....I lived in "Slonoma" back in 2010...Was a victim of the Sonoma Coma,I must confess...Great place great people..I really miss the attitude in n. cal..

Hi Mike

I have been here since 1988. Work in San Rafael; wouldn't live anywhere else
If you lived in Sonoma for any length of time I would be willing to bet that we know some of the same people!

I agree; it is a wonderful place to live. Nearby Glen Ellen is also second to none.

Drop me a line anytime you come through the county; I am also listed in the phone book

Adam
DylanWelds
    Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:25 am

Have you started practice on your 6G welds yet?

No...Just got back to fl from Ms.I've gota chilll for a while..Get it back together...Then I've gota line up a welder thats 6010 friendly........My ol ass is kinda frazzeled..lol...figure a week a just layn around & i'll get to it....Need to find a machine that burns the 10's & wets out good with 7018..I'll be scouring e-bay for something...Shoulda kept that 56 shorty I bought.insteada getn dollar crazy...Oh well....

What machine are you looking for that can lay down the rods the way you want?

I'd like to get the 6G feather for my resume as well . :o)

Adam