Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
chadmh91
    Fri May 16, 2014 8:35 pm

I just finished taking a 3g 4g test & my cap on the overhead had some porosity around it, can someone explain to me what I did wrong so I won't make the same mistake next time?? Thanks
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

What process? Machine settings? Pics? Hard to say without at least some info
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Chad,
You really must tell us more info.
We can't guess.
For all we know it could be O/A aluminum.... :?
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
jkey383
    Wed May 07, 2014 12:47 am

I would like to hear answers on this. The puddle on 7018, when welding 6g carbon steel pipe, coming from the bottom, wants to cloud-up, making the start difficult to see due to flux accumulation. This also happens on top. I realize rod angle is the answer, but maybe this is what myself and poster of this thread is looking for.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

chadmh91 wrote:I just finished taking a 3g 4g test & my cap on the overhead had some porosity around it, can someone explain to me what I did wrong so I won't make the same mistake next time?? Thanks
I will try to answer but would like more information. There are a few things it could be. One is how you are starting your rod. Jody has videos explaining this better but you should light up ahead of your weld and move back into your start. This will almost always evade porosity. Starting right on your feather can/will cause porosity for up to a inch or so. Another cause can be how your 7018 tip is prepared. If you have to much flux missing it is the same as no gas flow at the start of a mig weld. Again this will cause porosity for the first inch or so. And third it could be the condition of the flux itself. Although I do not believe this is your problem, if the rod is wet or very old, this can lead to porosity. Wait fourth, if you are long arcing to much, you guessed it.
Hope this helps and not confuses. I am sure others can help as well.
-Jonathan
DylanWelds
    Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:25 am

My guess without pics is long arc, bad start technique, or bad rod angle.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

DylanWelds wrote:My guess without pics is long arc, bad start technique, or bad rod angle.
Could be tig or mig though...
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I'm going to assume, because it's posted in the stick forum, the process is stick.

I'm leaning toward the "long-arc/rod angle" idea from the little bit of information given. The key words I'm picking up on are "porosity AROUND the weld", suggesting at the edges, rather then the middle.

It's common to long-arc 7018 in these positions. Some lens colors make it particularly difficult to distinguish the puddle from the red-hot flux behind it, leading one to believe the puddle is taller than it really is.

I agree, though, more information would help with the diagnosis, as I feel like I'm guessing here.

Steve S