Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
calixt0
    Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:39 pm

Hello all, I'm needing a new electrode holder and ground clamp for my lincoln ac225. what would many of you recommend for for stingers and ground clamps I was thinking about the ground clamp from harbor freight as its inexpensive and doesn't look like much to go wrong with them... hoping for suggestions overall and thoughts on the harbor freight work clamp
ifit
  • ifit
    Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:15 am

Hello, I have a Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC and I am still using the stinger that came with it. It fits right in my hand and feels comfortable. As for the ground clamp, HTP has good ones but kind of pricy.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

I've used the Harbor Freight ones up to about 300 amps and it held up. Usually it's the spring that breaks down first and loses it torsion. I haven't welded all day with it but I have padded beads with it for hours at about 200 amps. I also bought a stinger from there but haven't used it yet so I can't speak to it.

I've used mostly Tweco over the years and find them to be well made and you can find deals online for them.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

Solid copper 300 ground and a Lenco Duro 250 holder.
GWD
    Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:50 pm

The Harbor Freight ground clamps work very well. I used three of them to replace the three on my "go to" machines.

http://www.harborfreight.com/400-amp-we ... 66708.html

The HF stingers are also just fine. The 400 amp one is a bit bulky. The 200 amp one can get a bit hot. In general, the reviews on them are positive.

http://www.harborfreight.com/400-amp-el ... 98010.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/200-amp-el ... 97892.html

I tend to be cheap and burn rods right down to the nub. It is hard on stingers. So the HF ones are disposable in my opinion.
grafted
    Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:27 pm

calixt0,

I replaced both my stinger and Ground clamp with the Harbor F 400 amp Stinger and the brass clamp.

I am pleased with both although the stinger is a little bulky I like it now. Both seem to get the Job done.

If you get the ground clamp use a hose clamp in place of that cheap ring.

Tom
    Fri May 09, 2014 9:54 am

I have one on my tombstone AC/DC. It works, but the little wire clamp that comes with it is junk. Cap the end of your bare wire with a little piece of copper and shove it in snug. I need to put a pipe clamp or something on there. Also, any splatter will stick to it like a magnet. I don't know if it's the paint they use on it, or what? It is working, but that nut on the bottom was arcing on my metal table. I guess that would have happened with any brand.

I use the 400 Amp Welding Ground Clamp.
My brother told me that the HF magnetic ground clamp was a piece of junk.
calixt0 wrote:Hello all, I'm needing a new electrode holder and ground clamp for my lincoln ac225. what would many of you recommend for for stingers and ground clamps I was thinking about the ground clamp from harbor freight as its inexpensive and doesn't look like much to go wrong with them... hoping for suggestions overall and thoughts on the harbor freight work clamp
Airco Heliwelder, model 3A/DDR-224HPA/B-D
LWS Kobalt Helmet / Blue Flame HF
6010 Powdered Vise Grips
Bad A$$ Orange Grinder
Chicken Hammer for Pecking Divots
bdecker
    Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:16 pm

I've always been a tweco fan myself. You may pay a little more but in my opinion you get what you pay for when it comes to stingers , ground clamps, and welding rods/wires.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Go for twecos...

Best stinger money can buy right here!!!!!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181329746652?ss ... 1423.l2649
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024