Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
hillbilly welder
    Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:34 pm

good day everyone I'm Tony and just wanted to say hi. My question for the day is on 6G pipe. When 6010 is used for the root and hot pass, Is the hot pass just a filler pass, or does it require one to turn up the amps to push into the root pass to make it stronger? Or as suggested that its not necessary and can be used as a fill pass.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Tony,
While it is common practice to turn the amps up say 10, it is not absolute necessary. True it is called the "hot pass" but that does not necessarily mean one has to turn it up. I have had success with my "hot pass" at the same amperage as my root.

Actually, I work with Tony and we were debating this today. Thought I would get on here and steer this conversation in the correct direction ;) :lol:
-Jonathan
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

I agree with Jonathan on this one, I AM NOT A PIPE WELDER, never have welded pipe, but I have many friends and family members who are pipe welders and they always told me they run the root and hot pass at the same amps and then adjust accordingly after that. Again I don't weld pipe but I have done some multiple pass fillet joints that way and it worked fine for me. :D
By the way Tony, Jonathan texted me and told me to agree with him and since I am a good friend I had to. I really don't know much about pipe welding I am just an artist after all. :lol:
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

The "hot pass" does not need more amps. There's more heat, though.

The purpose is to focus on the toes of the root to burn out any slag remaining in undercut or corners from round-over of the root pass that a wire-wheel couldn't clear. The broader surface to cover means slower progression, and therefore more "heat" input.

That's the way I understand it, anyway, and it seems to work...

Steve S
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Tony you need to look at your WPS.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

It depends.

Some guys run a uphill root pass at 50 amps, than crank it up to 100 for a downhill hot pass.
I think that's what CEP does.

All depends on your preference.

If you ask Azazel on YouTube about what amperage they use for downhill 8010, he'll tell you its not a set amperage, its what your comfortable with.

I'm not into pipe myself tho.

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Tue May 28, 2013 11:10 am
    Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts

I'm not a pipe welder by any stretch of the imagination! Strictly a structural welder :oops: . But back in my testing days we had to take 6-G pipe tests, vertical up all the time. Few things I've learned.
When I run my hot pass I go up 20 to 25-amps. With 6-G I run a laid over J pattern. You blow through the root pass you're done right there, test over :shock: ! The inspector doesn't even have to be watching, the whole area can hear the different sound it makes. With 5-G I run a U pattern, only cross over to the other side at the bottom of the U. The U pattern really helps burn out, and fill wagon tracks too.
Another important thing to get into the habit of. When you place the rod in the stinger, move it back & forth, up & down make sure the rod is secure in the stinger. For God sakes if you stick the rod, don't yank it out! Release the rod from the stinger. Any arc marks out side the weld zone, test over right there!