Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I stopped by the LWS today an saw this laying against the wall. I have seen electrodes like this in pictures but never in real life. One of the salesmen own this and has had it for quite some time and just uses it for a conversation piece. I want it bad. Imagine having this in your office when people walk in, yea baby.
Anyway it is a Weld Mold 540 around 3/4" thick. Looked up some specs and it is a pretty tough cookie. 200,000psi tensile strength!! Now to get it to the shop and crank up the DC600 to 750 amps and go to town!
-Jonathan
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (25.3 KiB) Viewed 2578 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (18.92 KiB) Viewed 2581 times
    Fri May 09, 2014 9:54 am

I'm not sure if it will fit in my Harbor Freight electrode holder, but maybe if I file out a little V-groove :?
Superiorwelding wrote:I stopped by the LWS today an saw this laying against the wall. I have seen electrodes like this in pictures but never in real life. Anyway it is a Weld Mold 540 around 3/4" thick.
-Jonathan
Airco Heliwelder, model 3A/DDR-224HPA/B-D
LWS Kobalt Helmet / Blue Flame HF
6010 Powdered Vise Grips
Bad A$$ Orange Grinder
Chicken Hammer for Pecking Divots
    Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:30 pm

Wow. I think a few of those rods tacked together could be used for the structural steel in a manhattan high rise. Sorry iron workers... looks like youre out of a job haha.

My jaw almost hit the floor when i saw this thing. Very cool
"The Plumber Protects The Health Of The Nation"
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

How much does it weigh???
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:18 pm

You'd have to wear a full body heat suit...And a gin pole to support that monster...Yea...Thats an electrode awrite....For the amazing hulk....lmao...

Yes I thought it was cool as well. Don't know how much it weighs but can find out when I go in next week. I couldn't imagine the heat that would come off this thing! I want one so bad I started looking for one.
-Jonathan
mikek
    Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:00 am

heres a great topic on use of those size electrodes: http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/s ... ig%20welds
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Wow that is cool did some digging around another rod company that makes them is cor-met found a video of cor-met f-25 rod. I was surprised doesn't look like it has as much splatter as I imagined it would but not sure how deep in groove he has the puddle so it might be hiding it from view

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qL6jimDI8ro

Cool find thanks for posting pic of rod would have never thought such an animal existed. I doubt the wife would agree with me buying a welder or power company to run that thing LOL
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

Nice I would like one just to have around and put on display
dirtmidget33

Wes917 wrote:Nice I would like one just to have around and put on display
Here you go someone selling one on junkbay. gotta say be a neat conversation piece if it was in the house though sure kids would play with and break eachother or something

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-Welding-Ele ... 1365824569
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

Thanks, not sure I want one that much, but may bite the bullet
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

Now say someone wanted to keep one in good condition, could it be sprayed with a clear coat?
(Obviously no intention to use it lol)

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
dirtmidget33

:lol: I know the feeling I was wondering what one would cost the other day and found this one. I thought prices would be really sky high for them. I figure if he is selling them for that much per rod it even is cheaper than that if bought for job, but of course they buying several at time. Still price cheaper than what I thought rod would be. Thought about biting the bullet and buying one but cant really justify what I would do with it be cool to show it off but after awile what would I do with it.

I will buy one depending on shipping. Will contact the seller tomorrow. Thanks for the find!!!
-Jonathan
dirtmidget33

Superiorwelding wrote:I will buy one depending on shipping. Will contact the seller tomorrow. Thanks for the find!!!
-Jonathan
Your welcome glad I could help. That thing is definitely cool.
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

Shipping shouldn't be that much.
I just noticed on the add, he has the "best offer" setting on there. I wonder if someone made a offer of $10 or so + Shipping, if he'd take it?

Probably not, I would also have to assume that he "borrowed" it.
-Jonathan

I contacted the seller and made him a offer, will see what happens.
-Jonathan
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

79jasper wrote:Shipping shouldn't be that much.
I just noticed on the add, he has the "best offer" setting on there. I wonder if someone made a offer of $10 or so + Shipping, if he'd take it?

Well. You have 2 choices. Ask Ahlalala :shock: and wait........ or post the offer :mrgreen: