Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Timothysvec
    Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:25 pm

Greeting, I'm doing a patch on my truck frame. Welding store recommended upt612. What do you thing 140st at 60 amps dc+. My patch will be 5/32 cold roll. I want to do a vertical pass on each side and call it a day. What do you guy's and gal's think.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (97.25 KiB) Viewed 1243 times
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

I wonder why they recommended a 6013 rod?

What size did you buy?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (40.31 KiB) Viewed 1241 times
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

I'd recommend a 3/32" 7018 at 90amps DC+.

6013 on a frame is like an accident looking for a place to happen. The guy at your LWS is an idiot :!:

Buy a handful of 3/32" 7018. You'll be glad you did. :idea:
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Timothysvec

Thank you for the quick replies. 3/32 is the dia. On the upt612. Also if you mouse over the pic, you can see what I am up against. I'll be cleaning up everything before the patch. It's only one spot on my truck. But super rusty. Ok 7018
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Yeah,
You might try 80amps.
About 45deg uphill push, and move the rod straight up the joint.
That's how I'd do it anyway.

Let us know how it turns out.

John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Timothysvec

I will, it'll be two week's before I'm ready to burn...... But will keep you'll posted . Thank's again for the advice.
Timothysvec

Ok, I have made my patch. 1/8 black generic steel. Am practicing up hill verticle and will be prepping the truck frame on my next day off. My question is, do I have to do anything in regard's to my 94 gmc, to protect it from the weldng process. Battery, computer ect. I will have a fire extinguisher. :D
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Yeah, you should disconnect the battery. In a '94, that should be sufficient. '94 GMC, will still have an OBD1 system, so the battery should be all you need to unhook.

Steve S
Adam's Got Skills
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:32 pm

Steves right anytime u weld on a vehicle disconnect the battery or u can fry computers or wiring. As far as the welding goes I second the 7018 i like Lincoln rods myself. Id turn the dig up if u have that function an just weld it vertical...Id do it with a 90° rod angle myself...but its ur choice to make
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

Not only disconnect battery (side note: negative should be first off, last back on)
But also ground to the piece you're working on.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
grafted
    Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:27 pm

Forget the 6010.
I would follow the instructions on disconnecting the battery and I would use 7018 between 75- 85 amps.
I would practice weld a sample of the material You plan on using as a Patch , before the actual weld.

Tom
Timothysvec

Just wanted to say thank's for all the great advice... As for my truck... I sold it for 1500 to a young man who's Dad is G3 cirtified... They like the patch and will be welding it on.... As for me I found a 2004 gmc and am back on the road. :)... Also been practicing my welding.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (79.44 KiB) Viewed 552 times