Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Justjake85
    Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:05 am

6010 root pass on open root pipe is standard and has been taught for many years. This is followed by a 7018 fill and cap uphill or 7010/8010 downhill. (Most typical)

I have noticed over the past years many employers and engineers running a tig root with a flux core fill/cap, 7018 or 7010/8010 fill/cap, mig fill/cap, but all root tig.

I am curious to know, what has been your experience in the field or in a shop? Tig root or 6010 root?

The main question, is tig root the future of pipe? Is this the direction pipe is headed?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

Wasn't something like this just posted? Yesterday I think.
It's interesting. A lot were saying Tig was very common even in the older days.
Field work will still be more SMAW. Think of the elements.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
wheresmejumper
    Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:14 pm

If a 6010 root is overlayed by 7018, then the 7018 wont be as 'low hydrogen' as it would have been.hydrogen from the 6010 will migrate into the 7018 hot pass, fill etc.
a tig root with er70 filler will have higher tensile strength to match the 7018, 70,000psi compared to 60,000 of the 6010.there will also be less hydrogen in a tig root to dilute the 7018
Dancing with the blue lady
Justjake85
    Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:05 am

79jasper wrote:Wasn't something like this just posted? Yesterday I think.
It's interesting. A lot were saying Tig was very common even in the older days.
Field work will still be more SMAW. Think of the elements.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
If there is another thread running I apologize. I havent seen it anywhere. Please point me in that direction...
forrestderp
    Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:51 am

When I worked in a code shop, everything was TIG root, most of the time I was able to use a welding positioner and with a thumb control on the tig torch and a foot pedal to run the speed of the positioner with a pile of tig rod at hands reach you could really boogy some nice root passes! In the field however many times the pipe will be sufficient in strength with the 6010 root and 70xx fill/cap and be cheaper and faster to produce. Mostly it comes down to cost prohibiting factors with tig.
Personally I prefer TIG as I believe it to be more controllable, especially with am amptrol.

Oh also there is procedures out there for 7018 open root and full 7018 out as well.