Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
jrouse
    Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:17 pm

So here is my first project that I have completed in intro to ARC in the welding program I'm taking at Triangle Tech in Pittsburgh. Its a 6x8 3/8" pad plate. This is the first thing I have ever welded on so please feel free to give me some tips from what you can see. One side is 6010 and the other is 7018. I had a lot of fun doing this project, just trying to get a feel for running stringer beads. The next lab we have will be a vertical up Tee joint.
Attachments
20150107_142116.jpg (61.89 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
20150107_142048.jpg (64.85 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

That's your first welding?? I know tradesmen who can't weld that well.... Top effort.
jrouse
    Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:17 pm

Wow Thanks Mike! Yes, other than running some practice stringer beads, this is the firsts welding I've ever done. I also managed to keep the plate pretty straight from distorting. Some of the other students in my term ended up with potato chips from distortion. I also got to see what the effects of porosity are as part of the flux coating on the 7018 rod I was using fell off mid bead on one of my passes. You can spot it in the picture if look close enough. The more I weld the more and more I enjoy it. I'll posts some pics and updates of the next upcoming projects!
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Your amazing.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

No worries mate, just keep going and make sure not to get a big head(too much)
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

Lookin good! Keep practicing and you'll get as good as you want to be. 8-)
Cheers.
-Eldon
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid
jwright650
    Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm

jrouse,
The one thing that I am most impressed with on your practice plate is the straightness of your stringers. A lot of people lose their way when running beads on plate. I love it when it looks like you used a straight edge. I used to draw lines on the plate with a piece of sharpened soapstone when I first started using SMAW. The line gave me something to follow vs wandering all over the place.
John Wright
AWS Certified Welding Inspector
NDT Level II UT, VT, MT and PT
NACE CIP Level I Coating Inspector
jwright650
    Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm

jrouse wrote: part of the flux coating on the 7018 rod I was using fell off mid bead
I had trouble with a mfg's (name withheld) E7028 when they were going through a phase where the formula of the flux coating was being changed to meet tighter hydrogen levels. We would open the can and half of the can's contents would already be missing flux on the rod...or it would fall off while running a pass like what you described.

John Wright
AWS Certified Welding Inspector
NDT Level II UT, VT, MT and PT
NACE CIP Level I Coating Inspector