Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
NathanFar
    Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:18 am

Hello fellow brothers and sister. I have been welding for 10 years and have been taking weld test for some time, but I will admit I do the best I can on Stick. I have landed a job with A major ship repair company and have scheduled weld test 7018 3/8 plate 2G 3G 4G. X-Rayed .....Flux core no problems easy,
My big ? Is sometimes they say run a 3/32 7018 2pass for the root but last time I tried that I failed :( the test
Now I know I can do this test I am focused and want to practice the slight weave more like a 1/8th weave with a 1second pause holding my corners. Then run stringers all the way threw
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Dirtynails
    Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:49 pm

NathanFar wrote:Hello fellow brothers and sister. I have been welding for 10 years and have been taking weld test for some time, but I will admit I do the best I can on Stick. I have landed a job with A major ship repair company and have scheduled weld test 7018 3/8 plate 2G 3G 4G. X-Rayed .....Flux core no problems easy,
My big ? Is sometimes they say run a 3/32 7018 2pass for the root but last time I tried that I failed :( the test
Now I know I can do this test I am focused and want to practice the slight weave more like a 1/8th weave with a 1second pause holding my corners. Then run stringers all the way threw
Just starting out with 7018 rod. Are you saying your root pass is 2 stringers of 3/32 rod? If so, 22.5 cut on the plates with a backing strip and what gap?
jwright650
    Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm

Nathan, If they use AWS D1.1 as the welding code, then you most likely will have a 22.5° bevel on both plates, as Dirtynails mentioned, and if they use the test coupon with backing, the root will be 1/4"(see prequalified joints in AWS D1.1:2010... "B-U2a" on page 95). You should be able to run a 2 stringer root with 3/32" without any problems. The company I was with in the past used to run 5/32" 7018s, and a 2 pass root was a bit more challenging as you have to be careful to not block access to the backing bar with your first pass.
John Wright
AWS Certified Welding Inspector
NDT Level II UT, VT, MT and PT
NACE CIP Level I Coating Inspector