Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
IA93
    Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:16 am

I have an older jeep and busted the rear shock mount. I have access to a stick welder but was thinking this won't be the last project... :lol: so in my research here and the website I was thinking about a decent mig rig for the job. I also have some rust on the driver side by the seat belt bolt underneath that would require be to do on my back so thought both options would get used. Essentially what to use where? I know I have to cut off and grind down the old mount and I have the replacements on the way...
Attachments
bustedmount.jpg
bustedmount.jpg (55.95 KiB) Viewed 1464 times
IA93

picture from the outside in from the wheel well.
Attachments
bustedshockwheelwell.jpg
bustedshockwheelwell.jpg (56.4 KiB) Viewed 1463 times
IA93

new mount....
Attachments
newshockmount.jpg
newshockmount.jpg (27.03 KiB) Viewed 1462 times
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

How skilled are you at out of position smaw ?
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:27 pm

Might have to bend your rod for that one!

Do you have a MIG welder?
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

This may sound duh but remove everything you can to make life easier.
A fire blanket or at least some fiberglass cloth from the auto parts store
will keep things like your legs or "your fellers" from getting burnt.
Also, if possible, sandblasting the repair area of the frame can be really
helpful in getting good, clean welds.
IA93

Haven't done out of position welding but I was thinking a MIG might make the task easier. Sounds like the best thing for the out of position needs is practice. I don't have a MIG but was considering buying one for these types of issues. I finally got the jeep out to my shop yesterday which is about 20 miles from the house. I have a small sandblasting unit that I was considering using to clean up the areas but may just do the whole frame if i can weld in what I need and seal it all up. I want to replace both the mounts and on the other side is the fuel and brakelines so I may just pull the tub after all and that should give me the room and it would take out the over the head stuff. I like the idea though of the blanket to protect me though... Thanks guys.
massacre
    Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:20 pm

A flexible-head MIG torch might help in that position?
IA93

massacre wrote:A flexible-head MIG torch might help in that position?
something like this.... http://weldingdirect.com/twmifmigwegu.html?

Man things have changed a lot in 20 years!
IA93

In case this helps I have other pics here

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/93-i ... ndex6.html

Also from a removal standpoint the shock is out. I plan on dropping the rear end and the whole exhaust since replacement will be coming in March. I think it will be safer to go ahead an pull the tank and the fuel line to avoid any issues. If I don't take the tub completely off I should have enough room this way to get it done right.

Another thought for close quarters with the smaw option would be to practice but never burn past half the rod. If I need the practice anyway...
IA93

So once I get everything cleaned up and cleared out which will take me a few weekends 7014 rods was what I was going to use. I plan on picking up a 5lb tube and practicing on some scrap to get back in the swing. I think I will use the fire blanket idea and use a small metal table I have and also practice welding from the floor to get some out of position practice in. Thanks for the input guys.
steeldr.
    Thu May 15, 2014 2:44 am

Might want to take to a weld shop, or muffler shop to do the welding, they have all the equipment and experience. Could be cheaper in the long run, and should have a warranty......ron
IA93

steeldr. wrote:Might want to take to a weld shop, or muffler shop to do the welding, they have all the equipment and experience. Could be cheaper in the long run, and should have a warranty......ron
Possibly. I still need to get a lot torn down to see the larger picture.
IA93

Thanks again all. Should have the tub off next week and the 220 wired into the new welding area of the shop(barn) :) I have a pretty good pile of various scrap to get my practice and get back in the swing.
IA93

One frame mount is on. I practiced with a some test steel to get the settings right on the welder. In the end used Hobart 7014 rods. I also bought a Everlast SuperUltra 205 3 in 1. It works great on the stick side and the plasma cutter. I still have the powerkart and I have used that work some other work like fixing the bucket on tractor.... I watched a lot of the videos from Jody and great advice from searching the forum. Thanks again.