Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Speed of heat
    Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:43 am

Just got my new to me Miller Big 40 generator welder going so its time to buy some 2/0 leads. I would like to purchase high quality long lasting USA or Canada made. Will be used in cold winter temps at times. Probably need about 200' total. Any reccomdations? Deals from good vendors?
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome.

I've never had to source leads, but I'll offer this. Look at the electrical properties of the insulation. They should have specifications that are temperature-specific, if they are high-quality. In other words, the guaranteed insulating value should include a temerature range, and your service should fall within that range.

Additionally, look for the words, "Severe service," or similar, to indicate heavier insulation.

Steve S
angus
  • angus

Speed of heat wrote:Just got my new to me Miller Big 40 generator welder going so its time to buy some 2/0 leads. I would like to purchase high quality long lasting USA or Canada made. Will be used in cold winter temps at times. Probably need about 200' total. Any reccomdations? Deals from good vendors?
buy them on ebay. you're lucky as far as timing. copper is well off its highs and the big sellers are directly connected to that market. plenty of sellers offering free shipping also.

http://www.nasdaq.com/markets/copper.aspx?timeframe=1y
Wyogoose
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:38 am

Try cableman on ebay. The last time I looked he had good prices on usa products and could personalize cable in multiple colors.
cameronccc
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:36 pm

If you don't care about the price try to get some of the orange super flex leads. They cost a little bit more but there nice to work with!
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

these guys: http://www.electronbeam.com/

USA made welding leads at a GREAT price. I just bought 50 feet of 2 gauge leads for right around $1.30 a foot, delivered. I made my whip out of the superflex orange cable, but that stuff is >$2.00 a foot. So I only went for 10 feet of that. The stuff from Electron Beam Technology is a good value for the money. I am not going to tell you it is the most flexible lead in the world. It is not quite as flexible as the Hobart stuff from Tractor Supply that goes for $4.99 a foot, but it is close.

You have to call them to order. No online ordering website tools. Just dial up the 800 number and they will take care of you promptly.

Oh and I just noticed, they are running a special until March 13....2/0 EBflex leads are $1.73/foot. Not a bad price!!!
Multimatic 255