Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Austin.James
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:04 pm

I'm considering getting into the pipeline industry in the future… I'm trying to get my own rig. With that being said, I have absolutely no clue what the best tools are for this specific field. I'm just looking for personal opinions. People who have actually used the machines. Feel free to throw in any suggestion. Trucks, generators, welders, grinders, ect.

Much appreciation,

Austin.
nickn372
    Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 am

Start with at least a 3/4 ton truck brand of your choice. Get a Lincoln SA200 or 300D with a ditch box. A couple grinders that will run on ac and dc voltage. Milwaukee or Metabo seem to be the best quality in my opinion. And a good set of torches. Whatever brand seems to fit you liking. That will get the necessary tools anything more is convenience or required by an employer.
Be the monkey....
Austin.James
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:04 pm

nickn372 wrote:Start with at least a 3/4 ton truck brand of your choice. Get a Lincoln SA200 or 300D with a ditch box. A couple grinders that will run on ac and dc voltage. Milwaukee or Metabo seem to be the best quality in my opinion. And a good set of torches. Whatever brand seems to fit you liking. That will get the necessary tools anything more is convenience or required by an employer.
Much appreciated!! Thanks a ton.
cameronccc
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:36 pm

Cant go wrong with a sa200, they weld the best imo and are fast and cheap to fix. And most parts can be bought at your local auto parts store. There are a bunch of machines that I personaly have used and like.

SA200
pipepro
new big blue 300
300d
pipeliner 200d
classic 1,2, or 3
vantage is ok

I have loved my sa200's But..... only dc tools can be a problem and you burn a tank of gas a day. as far as the diesel machines go id pick the pipe pro, they run great. Some jobs will furnish diesel also so that's a good thing, and almost every truck on the line has a diesel tank so fuel will always be close by. and you can run a few days on a tank!

As far as tools go

Short barrel torch
Long barrel torch
Cutting torch
100 foot of leads and hoses
Couple 4 inch grinders
Couple 7/9 inch grinders
Die grinder
Hand tools to fix truck and machine
Spacing tools
2 hole pins
Torpedo level
2 foot level
4 foot level
Center punch
Grasshopper
Band saw
Wrap around
A good branch template
At least 4 jack stands
Extension cord
Remote cord
Remote
The list could go on and on. Some tools will always be on the job, like beveling machines so you don't always need them but its nice to have a couple.
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

This guy has the right machine, but seems to be lacking the safety gear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61rSwhEKvO8