Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
weldstudent15
    Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:16 pm

I attend the Hobart Institute of Welding Technology and im about to start my 2/5g class there. Ive went through 2 sticl glasses already and have tried several different brands of stick gloves. Im just curious on what the best brand isthat aren't all that expensive but will last me a while longer tham what ive used. Ive used just the basic black stallion blue gloves the school sells in our tool crib, hobart brand gloves from my local tractor supply, and Ive also used a pair of basic Lincoln electric glove. They were all great for a week, maybe 2, and then the heat would just transfer way to fast to my hands or the inner linings would just fall apart. All were under $20 a pair. Any good suggestions?
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I use and highly recommend Tillman gloves. They make a lot of different models but I use their 50L and 1414L. The 50L offers good protection for GMAW and SMAW while we use the 1414 series for general use. I would also recommend a backing pad shield to keep the radiant heat off your gloves. The drawback to them is there are plenty of places for slag to find a home and burn you so be careful. In my opinion, if you are going through a pair of gloves a week we need to look at your technique. You are probably way to close to the arc causing the gloves to shrink up. Also keep in mind, no glove will last forever, especially if it is used to close to the arc.
-Jonathan
weldstudent15

Ill definately have to look into a pair of those. I do have a heat shield that I use. It actually stays on my glove wether in use or not. I do know that using the gloves for anything other than welding can affect the heat transfer so I do have a seperate pair for metal hamdling and grinding. Most of the gloves I was going through was in the 4g position and id constantly have hot balls of slag or metal fall on my hands and just camp out till I couldnt take it any longer. I tried differemt positions of the electrode in the lead and also different work angles and the one I found best still had alot dropping at me. At school, since it is hobart institute of welding tech, we use all hobart rods. I got a box of just regular Lincoln rods, not Excaliburs, just to mess around at home and I used everything the same position wise and didnt have nearly as much if any fall at me. But I definitely will look into those gloves. Do you know where id be able to pick some up?
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

weldstudent15 wrote:Ill definately have to look into a pair of those. I do have a heat shield that I use. It actually stays on my glove wether in use or not. I do know that using the gloves for anything other than welding can affect the heat transfer so I do have a seperate pair for metal hamdling and grinding. Most of the gloves I was going through was in the 4g position and id constantly have hot balls of slag or metal fall on my hands and just camp out till I couldnt take it any longer. I tried differemt positions of the electrode in the lead and also different work angles and the one I found best still had alot dropping at me. At school, since it is hobart institute of welding tech, we use all hobart rods. I got a box of just regular Lincoln rods, not Excaliburs, just to mess around at home and I used everything the same position wise and didnt have nearly as much if any fall at me. But I definitely will look into those gloves. Do you know where id be able to pick some up?

Local welding supplies useally charge twice as much as online welding stores from my experience.....

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0SO80.y ... qVP62TP0o-

50L,

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrSbnrf ... ri04WNfCQ-
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
weldstudent15

Ill check that out. I know my local supply store doesnt even carry them
teddy_b
    Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:10 am

I use Tillman aswell and I'm very glad I have them.
DylanWelds
    Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:25 am

Tillman 875 are great. Flexible, don't get stiff, durable and heat doesn't mess with em. They are like 35 a pair but they are great gloves
johnnyg
    Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:56 am

AKWeld - We sell 50-L gloves here $15.70 in stock. LWS in Wooster, OH. I definitely understand the benefits of online shopping, but ALWAYS check with the LWS first! :D
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

johnnyg wrote:AKWeld - We sell 50-L gloves here $15.70 in stock. LWS in Wooster, OH. I definitely understand the benefits of online shopping, but ALWAYS check with the LWS first! :D

I agree on checking your lws first, and I do so often.

My LWS charges around $30 a pair.

Just a suggestion.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
weldstudent15

Wooster is a pretty good haul from where I live. But ill have to call around to a few places. I know my lws doesnt carry tillman. Theyre all bsx, miller, hobart, and Lincoln. Ill definitely make sure tillman is the next pair I get. Thanks for all the suggestions!
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

AKweldshop,
You also have to keep in mind you are in the middle of nowhere and the freight costs to get anything to your LWS is very high.

Weldstudent15,
Where are you from?
-Jonathan
08JKdrvr
    Tue May 05, 2015 9:39 pm

I recently picked up a pair of the Tillman 850. I love those gloves! Flexible, not bulky and have good heat resistance. I'm probably gonna get a second pair to keep as a backups.
gnabgib
    Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:55 am

These are the best gloves I've ever used. Bought a few pair and then could never find them again here in Oz.

http://www.scottysgloves.com/store/weld ... dozen.html
Jeremy
    Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:30 pm

the gloves i have and recommend to my students are the miller super heavy duty stick/mig gloves( the ones with rubber) they are a little more expensive but only around $40 here is a link at that price
http://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/m ... fgod7OUOQQ
nickn372
    Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 am

Tillman but if you can't get them Lincoln has great apparel but it's a little pricy. Everything else is second rate in my opinion.
Be the monkey....
Jeremy
    Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:30 pm

i have had some issues with Lincoln gloves, the intermediary isolation has degraded quickly.
Tx Welder
    Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:58 pm

I usually use tillman 850 with a back head pad works well, a lot of flexibility but keeps the heat off. I can also second the miller gloves Jeremy posted, they don't have a ton of flexibility ( kinda hard to pick up electrodes) but are super heavy duty and have saved my hands many times. I was concerned about the rubbery things melting but I've had em right next to the arc while cappin pipe and had no problems. Kevlar stitched to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DeepSouthWelder
    Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:35 am

I have had good luck with BSX BM88 gloves, they are marketed as a mig glove but as I have found they work great for stick welding. They are heavy duty,kevlar stitched, and most important very comfortable. A new pair from my local LWS is $15.00 even. Honestly though whatever you like the best is the right glove for you its personal preference.
Instagram : natecreel1050_
hacadacalopolis
    Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:14 am

an old timer that use show me some things used these gloves that no longer exist called "Good Luck". Extremely easy to feel what you hold, had decent dexterity. But overall had the best average feel for a cheap glove. Probably one of the best to feed filler rod I have used. The company was the Good Luck Glove Co. out of Illinois I believe.