Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
tschmitt
    Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:26 pm

I have one more practical for school and I am done with flat. I am having trouble with a single glee bevel groove weld. I have to use two 1/4x1 1/2x5 plates with a 6013 rod. I have been at it for a couple of days and all i do is stick or blow oUT beyond belief. I have tried to run on almost everything between 80 and 130 with no luck. Any advice?
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." VINCE LOMBARDI
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Take lots of care preparing your root gap, land, making slight adjustments and recording the results.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

What bevel angle, gap, and land are you required to have? (the "land" is flattening the knife edge back a little)

If a knife edge is required, no gap for me.

I would keep more of the heat on the un-beveled edge - more meat left over there.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
tschmitt

It's a 45° bevel, 3/32 gap with a 1/8 6013 rod. It doesn't say anything about a landing or knife edge being required. I asked my instructor about it today and was told if I want to I can to make it easier.
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." VINCE LOMBARDI
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

You can also align your joint so that the electrode comes from the bevelled side and points at the square edge.
tschmitt

I have been doing that but all I seem to be able to do is blow it out and stick, this is more aggrivating than a regular open root
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

tschmitt wrote:It's a 45° bevel, 3/32 gap with a 1/8 6013 rod. It doesn't say anything about a landing or knife edge being required. I asked my instructor about it today and was told if I want to I can to make it easier.
When he demonstrates the weld for you, what is different from what you are doing?

Rod angle? Amps? Drag angle? Arc length? Travel speed? Size he lets the puddle get? etc.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
weldstudent15
    Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:16 pm

If you have the option to set your arc force "dig" on your welder, try running it at about 85 amps and 40-70 arc force
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Are you welding this on AC? If not, what polarity?

This matters.

Steve S
tschmitt

I tried it on AC and both DCRP &DCSP, it wasn't for a grade but an extra that they had me to so I could try it and try to get a feel it. But AC was actually better for it. Started running my pad of beads for horizontal.