Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
pez
  • pez
    Sat May 09, 2015 3:31 am

I've never played with dissimilar metals, but I've been offered some 8mm stainless (magnetic) plate to make a benchtop. I wouldn't normally go stainless, but hey if its available :lol:

Was just going to use some 50x50x4 or similar mild steel legs. My fuzzy recollection is that most stainless rods should be ok, as the alloying elements should dilute across the weld metal but I'm not sure. They also sell a 'weldall' rod here that claims to do everything except cast iron (but may be snake oil).

Any recommendations? Tips? Not a critical joint, but don't want it to be shamefull.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Weldall rods do a really good job of welding stainless to low carbon steel. They are likely to be a 612 rod, made just for this purpose.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Coldman

Sorry, leading you astray. Not 612 rod, I meant to say 312 rods.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

309 for stainless to mild. 316 for most of the others, especially if you are not going to use it for its intended use.

Don't buy weldalls unless it's a critical part of unknown composition. Like a steel shaft you absolutely need to save and have no idea of type. Very very expensive.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Pez,
Like Mick say's, 309 is great for what you're trying to do at the lowest price point. If you have 312 rods, they will also work just fine. I have both on hand and I would use the 309 if it was mine just because it's cheaper to replace.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Coldman

Everything said above is true.

I know that the Weldall rods are available in a blisterpack of 10 x 2.5mm rods which would be cheaper than a 2.5kg pack of 309 rods (can't find blisterpacks) if you don't have a use for the whole pack.
pez
  • pez
    Sat May 09, 2015 3:31 am

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll go for some 309's then.

I priced up the 15 rod blister pack of weldalls, and they cost within $5 of a kilo of 309L's. Expensive!

Have A look at Bob the welder on eBay. He sells all sorts of electodes
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

weldin mike 27 wrote:Have A look at Bob the welder on eBay. He sells all sorts of electodes
Since you promoted him,

"Bob's your uncle"?

:lol:

Steve S

I wish. That way I could have free welder stuff. "Robert's your mother's brother"