Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:41 pm

Hello guys.. I've got a critical weld coming up next weekend, and wanted to know wether im on the right path or you would do anything different?

I'm joining two gangways togheter, 4 meters long and about 120kg each part.

Here's a practice joint i prepped:

The steel is 8mm thick, and i've grinded a bevel leaving about 0,5 - 1mm steel. I have to weld it overhead and vertical up.
I'm using a Kemppi Minarc 150 and NST 7016S 2.5mm rods.. For the first bead i would go about 75 amps, just hot enough to not make a hole midway.. Afterwards i'd put two beads side by side filling the bevel, about 80 amps..

What do you guys think?

And what should I do to avoid getting that "Void" or "Crater" at the end of my vertical up? :evil:
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

I'd use a run off pad at both ends. use the run off pad on the overhead to light up on say 15mm from the joint
and run off the vertical by at least the same amount. When welded just cut off the excess with a cutting wheel and polish.

Thanks for the advice Rake, i'll test that out on a practice joint! :)
wheresmejumper
    Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:14 pm

Beef up the tacks at the end of the joint so they are solid and have full penetration.then just run into them.
Dancing with the blue lady
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

I think rake has the right idea about run off tabs. Maybe clamp the pieces together with a backer plate and some heavy C clamps. You certainly look like you are on the 'right track'! Please post some photos of the finished product? And your procedures, if possible!! Good luck!

I'm going to post the whole project when it's finished.. However, i did neither use run off pads or beefing up the tacks :shock: Somehow it slipped my mind to do so, and the time was short.. I filled the V-joint with three beads, and it is rock solid ;)

I think they're both a good solution, thanks guys:)