Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Jeremy
    Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:30 pm

Hello, this is my first post...
I am an instructor in addition to a welder, i have a student with nerve damage in his arms and lower back problems. He is having some issues with overhead SMAW any thoughts?
Last edited by Jeremy on Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:30 pm

Welcome to the site Jeremy.

I can't help with your student be we do have some physically challenged welders here. Maybe someone will have a suggestion for you.

I'm moving your post to the "stick" forum where you'll get more views.
Go break something, then you can weld it back the right way.

Jeremy

this student is practicing for the 4G Smaw qual. and is not able to find a comfortable position. We have spit-balled many ideas, none of which have worked out for him.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

What if he laid flat on his back? The weld would be in front of him but gravity would still affect his weld the same. Recommend good set of leathers for this as the Sparks have a tendency to go right through a good denim in this position.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Has he had any contact with a physiotherapist regarding this issue?
Exercise and massage of the problem areas may help.
Nerve damage takes a long time to heal, if it ever does and there's not a lot you can do about it what you got is what you got.
What is the actual problem, he hurts in the position he has to get into, he has limited movement in that position or limited strength to carry out the weld or all of the above?
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I have constant trouble from an L4-L5 lumbar strain/bulging disk, as well as a pinched nerve at about T7-T8 that radiates down my right arm.

I like, when possible, to do my overhead work from an old leather office chair that's height-adjustable, reclines, and has lumbar support.

I can't often make this practical, but it's sweet when I can.

I will also take great pains to construct something simple to prop an elbow on, or drag my forearm against, if it will help with one of those particularly difficult positions. Some positions cause me to shake like a Chihuahua crapping nails in a blizzard.

Just one experience among many.

Steve S
    Tue May 28, 2013 11:10 am
    Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts

I would get him to an Acupuncturist right away!
Bob kept me working for 8-years after a severe brain injury. Making a pick on a derrick, pad eye broke. The rigging blew right through the safety latch on the hook. Rigging hit me in the back. Drove me face first into the deck of the barge. Shattered my face, and drove my forehead into my brain. Then the rigging drug me off the barge into 35-feet of water, with the rigging wrapped around me. The guys had to jump in and untangle me before I drowned. Lost all the strength in my right arm. The brain injury robbed me of my energy. The acupuncture and Chinese herbs kept me going for 8-years.
http://acupuncturewellness.net/about/staff/
Jeremy

ex framie wrote: What is the actual problem, he hurts in the position he has to get into, he has limited movement in that position or limited strength to carry out the weld or all of the above?
he is unsteady in the booth while working in OVHD, causing the welds to be shallow and erratic.
Jeremy

[quote="Otto Nobedder"]
I like, when possible, to do my overhead work from an old leather office chair that's height-adjustable, reclines, and has lumbar support.

I can't often make this practical, but it's sweet when I can.

I will also take great pains to construct something simple to prop an elbow on, or drag my forearm against, if it will help with one of those particularly difficult positions.

the school i work for has provided a chair for him but cannot afford to let him use an office chair, while the chair is not adjustable the jig he is working from is. also has a bar attached to the jig for sliding his arms across.
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Hate to say this but being in the back problem boat for many years myself, he is choosing the wrong profession to train for.
Jeremy

the school is giving some active duty Marines the opportunity to receive training in welding at no cost, and his hobby is custom hot rods, so he thought he would give it a shot. with some of the suggestions on the board he is getting better. hopefully enough better to pass the 4G cert.
Jeremy

today an AWS Inspector showed me the limits of OVHD face and rotational dimension which will allow for my student to pass the 4G Qual.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Jeremy wrote:today an AWS Inspector showed me the limits of OVHD face and rotational dimension which will allow for my student to pass the 4G Qual.
Awesome, good news for someone who served our country!

I was thinking mig welding may also be more forgiving then smaw.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Welder55
    Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:55 pm

I am new in the forum, I was in the same situation L4-L5 BULGING disc for about 10 yrs, hard time in my life, but my passion for welding and my desision for staying in the welding trade made me find a non-invasive procedure located in Guadalajara mexico, this treatment put me back again as a hard worker, free of pain , the procedure is a gas ozone injected in the disc monitored by live x-ray, i really recomended, the procedure took 45 min and i walk out the clinic my self. Google ozonomontoya.com.mx all info is there , they speak english. Good luck and keep going.
    Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:05 am

All enlightening information

I too have had L5 issues, and have learned to deal

I have loved my hot tub with the therapy corner - really takes the stiffness out after a long day of very tense muscle soreness

707 / 579-9290
Sent from my iPhone
hacadacalopolis
    Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:14 am

I too have had terrible and severe pain at times at work, sleep, and morning times. I have to deal with it- but figure I will enlighten as the rest have already told you about;
Because students need a job, I feel that this is at the worst time possible to have these issues. IF you get a prescreen for a job, Do not let them know about any back pain or problems. I am speaking of course out of real life consequence.
I missed out on a pipe welding opportunity with high pay, but that is a thing of the past and now I couldn't be at a better place to learn, fabricate, and weld.

I deal with a herniated disc in the l4 l5 region and now have dealt with a 5month long thoracic anterior compression fracture. They give me trouble every day but I bite my tongue and move on.
Jeremy

thanks for the input, this student passed 3G and 4G SMAW, and is now in GMAW preping for 3G short arc transfer.