Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

So a week ago I had a problem with my multifunction machine, which I mostly use for Tig welding. (Turned out to be a pedal problem.)

During the awesome service call the seller provided, he asked me to test the machine by lighting up with the stick welding function. I'd never even used the function before on this unit and I was instantly impressed. Smooth, easy...a bit of a revelation.

Years ago I had bought a small inverter stick welder from the same seller and while I had accepted that it was a good little machine, I was a truly awful welder. Slag inclusions, splattery disasters...it seemed that in amongst all the fireworks I just never got the hang of it. By contrast I seemed to pick up the basics of Tig pretty quickly.

Tonight I dragged out that little inverter stick machine for the first time in years and I have to say I loved it - actually laid down some half decent beads. And I think I know why.

1) Jody's videos, for sure

2) Tig welding has taught me how to recognise when the puddle is behaving right

3) Tig welding has taught me to hold a tight arc

4) Tigging has also taught me a lot about using the right amps for a given situation/material/phase of the moon.

Tig is no miracle but for me, the comparatively calm, quiet, slow nature of it has introduced a lot of habits that are just 'right', no matter which welding process is used. My first experience with welding was stick welding, and it seems that amongst the smoke, spatter, crackling and hurry of it all, I just never managed to get a handle on it. Maybe that's just me.

All I know is that from now on my stick welder will be seeing a LOT more use.

Kym
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

kym
this site promotes wedding improvement
just by participation.
you story is a great example.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil

motox wrote:kym
this site promotes wedding improvement
just by participation.
you story is a great example.
craig
Thanks Craig.

The past six months of welding have been full of revelations for me - this is just the latest. I have to say that the more I weld, the more I learn, and I am really enjoying it.

Kym
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Stick can teach tig just as good.
Atleast it did for me.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

AKweldshop wrote:Stick can teach tig just as good.
Atleast it did for me.
Yeah, I can see how it could. I think it has to do with the different ways we learn. As a newbie welder I just couldn't seem to see past the fireworks show of stick to identify what was happening at the puddle. Also, everything just seemed to happen too fast!

But I am loving stick now. Gonna try to get into the habit of burning a few rods on a regular basis so I can actually get good at it.

Kym
gnuuser
    Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:10 pm

MosquitoMoto wrote:
Atleast it did for me.
Yeah, I can see how it could. I think it has to do with the different ways we learn. As a newbie welder I just couldn't seem to see past the fireworks show of stick to identify what was happening at the puddle. Also, everything just seemed to happen too fast!

But I am loving stick now. Gonna try to get into the habit of burning a few rods on a regular basis so I can actually get good at it.

Kym
exactly its one of the hardest things to get used to with stick welding is recognising the difference between the weld puddle and slag puddle.
once my trainees learn what to look for they progress quite rapidly
shooting the $#!t is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (more splatter);)

gnuuser wrote:
MosquitoMoto wrote:
Atleast it did for me.

Kym
exactly its one of the hardest things to get used to with stick welding is recognising the difference between the weld puddle and slag puddle.
once my trainees learn what to look for they progress quite rapidly
Yeah, I could never see it when I first started with stick. Peering through the smoke and sparks, by the time I had any idea what I was looking at, I'd already blown a hole in something, or found myself staring at an electrode stuck to the work.

That has all changed now and while Tig is still my primary focus, I look for any excuse to use my stick welder. Just being able to weld without slag inclusions has been a revelation for me!

Kym
gnuuser
    Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:10 pm

yeah most of your welding schools start you out by running beads on flat plates but in my opinion you dont see the fusion process until later
I usually start them out by actually cooking 2 pieces of scrap together
after they recognize that pretty little puddle merging the pieces together they stay focused on it and make some nice welds
i also encourage them to use any chance to practice on scrap (including cutting or breaking the weld apart to check penetration) :lol: sometimes they forget to turn on the shop exhaust fan and the engineer raises the roof!
shooting the $#!t is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (more splatter);)

I think I would have done better at stick way back when I started had Jody's videos been around back then.

Every one of his videos is a study of the puddle. Having watched hour after hour of Jody's videos, when my Tig finally arrived, I got set to light up on some aluminium while by sarcastic brother (they're all like that, right?) looked over my shoulder, giving encouragement like "I bet you dip! How many seconds 'til the tungsten blows up in your face? Hey, aluminium is tough, this is going to take an idiot like you months!"

Well, I ran my first ever bead without dipping once, and while it wasn't art, it was okay. Nothing to do with skill, just a matter of knowing what to look for and how to hold the torch - all thanks to Jody.

Kym
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Kym - Wonderful insights! I personally believe you are right on target with what you have observed, what you have learned, and what knowledge you will carry forward.

I am going to work oxy/fuel back into my program for beginners, have them spend at least 20 hours or so. I think that learning oxy/fuel first is a great way to learn about puddle development and puddle control. Also, from what I have seen, students pick up TIG a whole lot faster if they have some oxy/fuel background.

All welding is like a pot of chili; it takes all of the different elements to make the whole. If you spend a year welding wire feed, and come back to stick or TIG, you will find that you are a better welder all around. Just the way it works!
Gary
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

You got it. It aint 'bout nothin' but a puddle.
Sticks(or whatever they call them this week) are undeniably awesome old things.In the hands of a guy who uses them day in and day out it's amzing what can be done.Choosing the rod and heat and prep are the art. The system is fully capable.

Many current "welders"don't know about this stuff because they have a neato caulk gun that "welds" all by itself. :lol:
They'll show you the 3/8 plate they beautifully "welded" to a post( with old blue---$99 w/coupon).....that when the dog runs into it falls off on duh floor.

"Something wrong with the machine" the weld was perfect ! :? :roll: :lol: