Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Countrywelder
    Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:45 pm

I want to hardface weld an arena rake dragged behind a tractor. I've used Stood 35 before but the hardfacing didn't last for very long. The arenas are a mix of sand and DG, no rocks or material to impact. I have only a Lincoln AC arc welder and want to use Tube Borium to hardface the rake. It looks like a giant comb that is dragged. I can't find any videos of arc welding tube borium as I would like to watch someone arc weld with tub borium. I've seen videos but they are for horseshoeing. I understand it is a lot more expensive but is worth it if it will last. Any suggestion.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

How thick are the tines where you will be welding them?
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Countrywelder

The tines are 1/2" thick. I've included a picture of the comb used to drag the arena's. I hope you can see it. My first time posting a picture.
DSC02008.JPG
DSC02008.JPG (60.96 KiB) Viewed 1080 times
Poland308

Pic came through. What side or edge of the tine did you try to hard surface before? Just the front or the sides too?

Josh
Countrywelder

Here is a photo of the comb. I tried different patterns to see if one pattern held up better but I found it didn't matter.
DSC02010.JPG
DSC02010.JPG (49.83 KiB) Viewed 1067 times
Poland308

The bead around the edge looks good but what about adding some beads on the other face of the same corner where you ran those. Kinda on the side of the face. How deep in the ground do the tines run when your useing it?

Josh
Countrywelder

The depth of the tines depends on the tractor operator. I think it would range from 2 to 4 inches. I found that the ends of the comb wore most. Two or three tines on each end would wear more than any others. I never thought of hardfacing the sides of the tines. I'm sure that would help on the ends of the comb where they wear the most.