Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
chazsmash
    Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:23 pm

Hi all, just a quick hello to all members, been a big mig fan for years on the hobby/car repair,work tools repair and minor fabrication front. Welded up some old farm machinery for my dad, which he uses for lifting hay bales, knew i was on a hiding to nothing when i saw the thickness of the steel with my little mig, had a go at it but low and behold it cracked again, realised at the time a stick welder would be more use so just picked up an old second hand one that i purchased for the scrap value, a big fan of keeping old kit working so would like to find out as much info on the welder as possible, the description on the plate is as follows, ferrous products(croydon)ltd, single arc transformer,type fm65 air cooled single phase, any info on the welder will be appreciated.
Many thanks Charlie
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, Charlie,

I'm big on keeping the old stuff going, as well. The Singer Sewing Machine Co. almost put themselves out of business because their early machines were so well made that no one was replacing them. I bought a 1930's model at a yard sale for $5, cleaned it up, and used it "as is" for several years.

I'm not familiar with your machine, so I searched online, as you probably have, and found nothing. I tried various cominations and keywords from your description.

Perhaps a call to the library in Croydon is in order, as Ferrous Products, Ltd. is apparently no longer in operation.

Good hunting!

Steve
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

If you know or can find out what city the welder was made in or where the company's headquarters was located,a call to that city's chamber of commerce can be a big help in trying to locate any info about the company.
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder