Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
wheresmejumper
    Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:14 pm

noddybrian wrote:Don't get AK going on that again please ! - he'd try anyhow just to hate on it if that's 6013 ! naturally he did'nt mention he had a 28lb hammer for that test ! I think he borrowed it from Thor !

That's a wide looking weave on the cap - is this just for #hits & giggles or you got a test to do - last WPS I saw here in 1/2" open root vertical called for a 2 run split cap - have we finally got something the EU can agree on with the paper work ? if so does it have a recognized code / number & can you divulge the written procedure as there are several guys been asking about this in view of new requirements by some of the insurance companies.
That was done on 10mm plate, just practice at a time when I was taking a test on 12mm same setup.
cellulose root,6013 rest of the way out. bs en 287 code.weave cap
we didnt have a big hammer, so the pieces were subjected to xray.
top and bottom strips cut out and bend tested.
of course everyone failed cos it was done with 6013
Dancing with the blue lady
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

It passed your saying??

Good!

I'd love for you guys to sell my back on 6013, I haven't found any good ones yet.

John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

Mocked it up with cardboard, marked my lines, and cut it ALL with a 4.5in cutoff wheel.

IMG_2072.JPG
IMG_2072.JPG (68.09 KiB) Viewed 1151 times
IMG_2075.JPG
IMG_2075.JPG (55.64 KiB) Viewed 1151 times
IMG_2069.JPG
IMG_2069.JPG (61.99 KiB) Viewed 1151 times

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

They fit!!!
IMG_2076.JPG
IMG_2076.JPG (110.68 KiB) Viewed 1151 times
IMG_2070.JPG
IMG_2070.JPG (84.2 KiB) Viewed 1151 times
IMG_2078.JPG
IMG_2078.JPG (69.36 KiB) Viewed 1151 times

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

Knocked 4 of them out, beveled, shined up, and ready to punch the 1 1/4 hole in them.
IMG_2077.JPG
IMG_2077.JPG (107.43 KiB) Viewed 1151 times
IMG_2079.JPG
IMG_2079.JPG (85.48 KiB) Viewed 1151 times
IMG_2081.JPG
IMG_2081.JPG (92.66 KiB) Viewed 1151 times

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

IMG_2083.JPG
IMG_2083.JPG (55.69 KiB) Viewed 1908 times
IMG_2084.JPG
IMG_2084.JPG (63.66 KiB) Viewed 1908 times

Do you guys think it will be ok to drill all 4 pieces at once???

~John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Yes & no ! - you can drill through them all at once - it's easier on a big morse taper drill / radial arm drill with good feed pressure & a slow enough RPM - but using a reduced shank drill that size in a moderate size drill press you tend to apply enough pressure to flex it slightly & cause the drill to run off at a slight angle so the bottom piece will be slightly off compared with the top - also those drills rarely have a slow enough speed so the drill gets hot - so drilling through that much in one go reduces the drills life ( kinda like duty cycle ) - it would make more sense to drill a suitable pilot hole through them all clamped together to get a consistent center point then separate them & drill the big hole diameter one piece at a time reducing error & heat build up ( in my opinion ) if you do many larger holes in plate you may consider a " Rotabroach " they save alot of time drilling.
    Tue May 28, 2013 11:10 am
    Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts

I never seen 6013 on a structural job. It does have it's place, but I wouldn't get caught using it on a structural job anywhere on the west coast.
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Those bends looked ok eh? The way that t-joint broke sucks though.

If your going to drill through multiple plates at once my advice would be to use lots of oil and go slow...keep that blade cool. The further down you go, the harder a time the shavings and debris is going to have to get extracted, which leads to the bit wanting to bind up on you.

If you got a lot of that stuff to do you might look into getting a hydraulic punch or renting/borrowing an iron worker machine. Their expensive to buy outright if you dont do enough work to make it pay for itself, but they are great machines and would make short work of something like that.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Shield Arc,
Thanks for coming over and joining our forum! I appreciate the test pictures.
I PMed Shield Arc aka CEP on WW, and asked him about his test results. What is interesting is I got the same looking result on my fillet weld but it took more hammer blows. Also I ran two more beads making a 3/8"-1/2" fillet. I will try a single pass for my own curiosity. Thanks again Shield Arc!
-Jonathan

Thanks for the welcome Jonathan! ;) Trying to register this morning, it would automatically add me e-mail. But wouldn't accept a password. Went and check my password sheet, I joined here last May :oops: , just never posted.

The 7018 break test, I beat the top plate down onto the bottom plate, then had to beat it back the other direction to break the top plate completely off. The 6013 break test snapped with only 3-blows of a 4-pound hammer. All welds were 1/4-inch fillets.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, Shield Arc,

That last picture is telling. Points out the low pentration nature of the 6013. In the absense of root penetration, the root is essentially a sharp corner, which is always a bad thing in structure.

The bend test is the result I expected, with the backing strip allowing full penetration.

While I wouldn't use 6013 in heavy or rigid structure, I've built a lot of light, flexible structure with it where the ductility is an advantage. Anywhere a fillet occured, it was designed to be welded both sides, so each root was protected by the opposing weld. (I built floating docks for a couple years. They require a lot of give to ride the waves and wakes they're constantly exposed to. I don't recall the exact grade of steel we used, but it was a low-carbon steel that wouldn't readily work-harden).

Thanks for sharing those tests!

Steve S

Thanks for the welcome Otto! ;)

Never built a floating dock. I use to build container ship docks, and bridges from Alaska to Long Beach California.

Welcome to our forum CEP.
Hope you enjoy our slim pickings of jelly donuts.

John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

Bridges and fixed docks are two things not on my resume'.

Well, okay, ornamental bridges for private drives and pedestrians, but that's quite a different animal.

The floating docks are the only thing I've ever build where 6013 was the specified rod. I've also used it in the "farmer rod" mode, and built a few one-offs with it, but my preference when AC is the only power source is 6011. Everything else structural was 7018, and occassionally 6010/7018 depending on the joint. Pipe, same thing. These guys in Europe that weld pipe with 6013, open root, impress me. (Though remote amp control on stick welding is common, which must be a big help).

Steve S

AKweldshop wrote:Welcome to our forum CEP.
Hope you enjoy our slim pickings of jelly donuts.
Not many jelly donuts? Oh that's not good at all! :lol: ;)

Otto Nobedder wrote:Bridges and fixed docks are two things not on my resume'.
Couple bridges I worked on. ;)
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Holy shit lol. Those are some big bridges.

--Sam
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-

GreinTime wrote:Holy shit lol. Those are some big bridges.

--Sam
My company got the first three contracts on the San Francisco Bay Bridge. First contract was 1-Billion, 316-Million dollars. I forgot the dollar value of the other two contracts. :?
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

*picks jaw up off floor* Wow. And I thought racing was expensive... Remind me to never commission a bridge :lol:

How long did that project take?

--Sam
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-

GreinTime wrote:How long did that project take?
They just let traffic on it last fall, so 11 or 12 years.

Spreader bars off a spreader bar. That's some serious rigging!

Steve S
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

The Chinese would have built it in a weekend.

I always liked these kinds of picks. What could possibly go wrong? :lol:
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:Spreader bars off a spreader bar. That's some serious rigging!

Steve S
Ya you couldn't get away with that stuff on a "normal" jobsite. Then again, the Ironworkers get away with all kinds of crazy rigging :p Imagine if we could fly up 3 pieces of pipe at a time? Our productivity would...triple!!

Was that one shot of the tacoma narrows bridge?
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?