Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Unless there is a contact issue in the leads (I would suspect the stinger, since the problem changes as you move), this is likely a machine issue. I'd check every connection, from where the stinger cable enters the connector at the machine all the way to the ground path back at the machine. If all connections are tight and there's no discolor of the copper wires, I'd consider opening the machine to check the same on the machine side of the connections.

If this all proves solid, it's time to consider the electronics, and involve the maker.

Steve S
Tommy2069
    Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:03 am

getherdone wrote:Ok...don't laugh too hard!

Top left of photo, a test bead ran without technical difficulties.

Lower (tight) joint between 3/8" plate and c-channel. This is where I kept grinding out porous welds that has 'snuffed out' after an inch or less time after time.

Had same issue again today on a test....seems like in the the valley of the ground out area rod would go out...or on the original joint. Try on flat like top left...or on scrap metal...tight arc, even dragging the flux across the plate, and no trouble. Today tried around 150-155amps....then gave up and finished projects with some flux core mig which went flawless. Stumped....

On one occasion (same 7018) was like someone blew out the candle...then acr started up again albeit quite weakly.

Any ideas? Thanks....

looks like a really hot machine. 155 to me is way to hot for 1/8 rods. does sound like your having a bit of machine problems too . as for as the settings i never burn a 1/8 7018 that hot i normally run at about 130 for 1/8.that splatter is probably because of the heat i seen it way to many times when i get a helper who can't get a rod to burn at the right amps so he turns up the machine so he can tack without the rod sticking every time.

D