Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
the welding don
    Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:01 am

Hello everyone, I am currently in a college program and wondering if 6 hours of being thrown in a booth with barely any direction (other than Jodi's video) is enough time before a overhead 4g weld test? I failed this test and i'm feeling defeated, im an honour roll student in every class except stick. thanks in advance for your help
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I tell anyone learning, run 50# of rods in a position, then you’re ready. If you can get that done in 6 hours, you’re a magician :D
gnabgib
    Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:55 am

the welding don wrote:Hello everyone, I am currently in a college program and wondering if 6 hours of being thrown in a booth with barely any direction (other than Jodi's video) is enough time before a overhead 4g weld test? I failed this test and i'm feeling defeated, im an honour roll student in every class except stick. thanks in advance for your help
It wasn't for me. Butt or fillet? I could manage a vertical up, horizontal and overhead fillet. Whereas the overhead butt defeated me and I also wonder why Jody hasn't done a video on this. The worst part of doing butt welds in colleges here(Aust) is the huge amount of time to prepare the test plates. Frustrating.
snoeproe
    Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:37 am

I find it best to keep your beads small in the overhead position. Never try running large beads or weaving overhead. Gravity works against you. Keeping your beads smaller helps you control things.