Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

I have this new Thermal Arc 161 STL Stick/TIG welder. I am trying to figure out the Arc Force adjustment.

I tried welding with it using 7014 rods on the extreme low and high side of the Arc Force adj. and didn't really notice a difference.

What Am I looking for and it is something that happens quickly ???
martinr
    Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:45 pm

I've had a look at your manual and there's not a great deal of info about dig control/arc force in it. Nevertheless, arc force/dig control is a feature that reduces the possibility of the arc going out and the rod sticking to the job. It does this by sensing the voltage across the arc and when it drops below a threshold - around 17~18 volts, the current is instantly boosted by the amount you have dialled in. On my set, I can go from 0% to 100% of the normal current. This boost lasts only for as long as it takes for the arc voltage to rise above the threshold and then you are back to the normal value of (constant) current. My set has an LED that lights when arc force is on, and, by forcing the rod into the job I can see it flash on occasionally for a fraction of a second. So forget anything you've seen about it modifying the shape of the arc characteristic; it is a very temporary, transient effect. So unless your arc is so short that you're tending to extinguish it, you won't notice any difference even on max arc force, because it's just not called into action. You can try it in some thin gauge metal; set the current low enough not to burn through and then set arc force to max and weld a bead, during which try forcing the rod into the puddle to put out the arc and you may well see a large increase in heat input possibly leading to a short burn through.

I'm beginning to think arc force/dig control is a possibly unnecessary feature if you follow Jody's maxim for setting the current for stick welding: "set the current high enough that the rod doesn't stick when you keep a close arc, and then keep a close arc";consequently, I tend to have mine set at zero, but I'd welcome criticism/comments on the above.

Martin
Jason123177
    Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:25 pm

Seems like arc force/dig control is more useful when rooting pipe with 5p+. Due to the fact that the rod has a tendency to snuff out when burning inside the pipe.
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

try adjusting while using 6010 and see it there's any difference.
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

You may be simply running too hot to notice any difference. Try setting the arc force as low as it goes and adjust the
machine down as low as you can go and still somewhat maintain an arc. It should be a little tricky to keep it lit. Now turn up the arc force and note the difference. The machine is suppose to sense the arc and crank you up a little to prevent sticking.