Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
migsvasquez
    Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:10 pm

I'm looking for some feedback on 7048 rod. I'm working on an instillation for a job at work, I have everything tack welded in place using 7018. This is an install that is surrounded by finished materials, walls, glass ect. and its outdoors. My problem is that the welding required is in very tight spot where I can't get in position to weld vertical up and I don't want to cost my company money by wasting a ton of rod by bending it and not utilizing all the rod just to manipulate the rod to run it verticle, do to the abundance of brackets that need to be welded I need another option. I can't use 6010 which is decent to run down hill because of the splatter it produces and the finished material I'm surrounded by. I hear 7048 can be ran down hill and is similar to 7018 with its strength and weldability. I have not welded with 7048 before, I was hoping I could get some feedback on 7048 rod before I do some practice beads with it at the shop.

Thanks
Tombstone
    Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:15 pm

Good luck finding any 7048 in the USA (if this is where you are located). It is a low-hy electrode that was strictly used in "vertical down" applications, primarily in ship building, according to the web.

Since you can't weld "uphill" is this weld for anything "structural" where safety is a concern? In other words, does the WPS specifically call for 7048? If not, to the above questions, have you considered 7014? It can be run downhill and actually looks better than uphill. It is also a "medium" penetrating electrode, on par with 7018 and 7028 but lacks the low hydrogen strength and ductility characteristics.

If you're not welding up I-beams or anything supporting human life, ascertain from a qualified supervisor or engineer for the project if 7014's can be used. The downhill 7014 welds can look like beautiful submerged-arc welding from a machine! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: It produces a beautiful "decorative" weld bead when moving downhill. In fact, I think 7014 run downhill looks superior to running flat! :o :o
"Let's light the fire an' brief on guard.". RIP Lt. Col Stan "Red Dog" Nichols. USMC. Fighter Pilot. Korea, Vietnam. MCAS El Toro.
migsvasquez
    Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:10 pm

Thanks for the info on the 7014 that helps a bunch. We have some 7014 at the shop as well as a ton of 7048 I'll do some tests with both.