Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
mobile1
    Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:59 pm

I went to Harbor Freight today to buy rods for metal filling.

What I found were four types of electrodes:
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsea ... electrodes

I bought the 3/32" AWS E6011 electrodes. But I am not certain that these are the best rods for the job.

Which ones are best for general purposes on most types of steel?

Thank you for your help.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

For general-purpose, I don't see why the wouldn't work for you. Now if you need a certain strength/ductility/elongation for a particular project then you're no longer in the realm of "general purpose" and need to post up exactly what you're doing instead of just "metal filling". You mention "...not the best rods for the job". What job?
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

one question are you looking for TIG or stick filler rods. Reason I ask, you posted in TIG section but the rods in your link are stick rods. You could use stick rod for TIG if you removed flux coating. Suggest if you need TIG just buy TIG rods.

Stick 6011or 6013 ok for general purpose
TIG ER70-S6, ER70-S2 would work great
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

dirtmidget33 wrote:one question are you looking for TIG or stick filler rods. Reason I ask, you posted in TIG section but the rods in your link are stick rods. You could use stick rod for TIG if you removed flux coating. Suggest if you need TIG just buy TIG rods.

Stick 6011or 6013 ok for general purpose
TIG ER70-S6, ER70-S2 would work great
good catch, I sometimes forget that this subforum is exclusively for TIG welding :lol:
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

+1 on the "good catch", as I read it on a previous visit and the TIG/Stick thing slipped right past me.

I'll move the topic...

Steve S