Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
pheasanthunter66
    Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:26 pm

What's going on? I'm new to the site and have a question!? I have a 2014 linclon Ranger 225 and I'm having trouble getting it set to the right amperage. Lots of spatter. Rod gets real hot. I'm using 7018 1/8" Excalibur. Roughly where would I be on the settings to be at 120 amps? Thanks guys!
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Welcome, PheasantHunter. The Lincoln data sheet for that rod
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/g ... c21011.pdf

...shows it is a DC+ rod. What polarity are you using?
Dave
aka "RTFM"
pheasanthunter66

I am running electrode postive. It kinda feels like I can't get the machine set right.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Pheasant Hunter,
Welcome to the forum.

Please include a first name so we don't have to respond to a generic user name, it just seems friendlier.

To your question, generator machines all have their own personality when it comes to amperage. They all run at different rpm's so there's small variances in output despite the machines best efforts to correct this. But ballpark would be somewhere in the 90-125 amp range to get started. Set the machine to where you can hold a tight arc and go up or down from there. The rod getting too hot suggests that you're holding too long of an arc.

We have members that use that machine and I'm sure they will chime in with their experiences, be patient.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

I don't have that machine, but the controls look to be pretty standard.

For an 1/8" rod, set to 145 MAX and dial the fine setting down a little if desired.
(10 on the fine setting would be 145 amps, around 8 will likely work for you)
image.jpg
image.jpg (117.85 KiB) Viewed 6150 times
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
pheasanthunter66

Thanks guys!
My name's Matt. I really appreciate all the help. I'm gonna have that a try and see how it goes. Any other tips or ideas are much appreciated!
pheasanthunter66

So I have tried adjusting the fine tune on multiple settings, tired 7018 rod from different places and still am having issues. Sometimes the weld starts out great then turns to cap with tons of spattter and the rod gets glowing. I probably get 1-2 out 15 welds decent. Could it he the welder?
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

As Braehill mentioned earlier, are you keeping a tight arc? That's part of the trick with stick welds: you have to keep feeding the electrode into the joint.
Dave
aka "RTFM"

Matt - It could be the machine - stuff breaks even when that new.

Where do you live? Maybe you are close to someone who could check it out with you?

Do you have enough welding experience to know if you are the problem or the machine is?
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
pheasanthunter66

I live in Ortonville, MI. I weld probably 3 days a week at work. I have multiple sertifications including DOT. I think I have enough experience but maybe I'm just having a stupid moment. . .(Not trying to be a smartass haha) I've pretty much had this problem with the welder since I bought it. Maybe not 100% of the time but I would say atleast 30 of the 33 hours on it. I can't understand how it could start to weld pretty nice for maybe a inch then just go to complete crap.

Oh man, that would go straight back to be checked out - call the company for sure :o
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
pheasanthunter66

That's what I'm thinking. I can't figure out what's else could be wrong.

When a new machine is spending 91% of its time in failure mode it's definitely time to give the manufacturer a chance to fix it or give you a new machine.

LDB
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
pheasanthunter66

I agree. I am going to call Air gas and Lincoln tomorrow.