Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
gasjr4wd
    Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:37 pm

Any reason why to not get just AC stick welder? I see a few AC only welders online (northern).
It would be nice to get a AC/DC but for the price, $120 for 200 amps, any reason to not get it? I want to weld thick to "tweak" a plow subframe. I'm hoping it will dig deep and give plenty of penetration.
(years ago I had a 110 stick welder for a first welder and hated it. went to a mig and liked it)
-Love watching the videos. Can tell the guy knows his stuff.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome!

For the purpose you describe, a 200A AC "buzz-box" will do the job just fine. It will weld up to 5/32 rod, but will stay in it's limits better with 1/8".

Don't be surprised if you get hooked, and wish you'd bought more machine, but at least in this range you don't have much money out yet.

Steve S
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
gasjr4wd

Thanks for the reply...
I think I'll just wait till I have more $ for something like a stickmate lx 300 or something. Maybe even with a tig. Also thinking about it I need a bigger shed. :(
Just outa room.
Now to find someone local to weld it that I trust.
    Fri May 02, 2014 10:44 am

I haven't checked in a while but it seems like all the newer Chinese AC buzz boxes only have a 10% duty cycle.
If you look around it isn't too hard to find a used buzz box with twice the duty cycle for half the price, and some times they come with longer leads or other extras. Then a couple years from now if you decide you don't want it any more you will likely be able to resell it for the same price you paid for it.
I know I'm late to the game, but... just sayin' :mrgreen:
Diesel
    Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

Everlast has some decent mulit-process welders from what Ive seen. But if you just want to do stick ive seen some for 5-700$ that are AC/DC capable. If i was going to choose AC or DC alone it would be DC since i only run 6010 and 7018 anyways. Aluminum and SS or whatever else i feel in the mood for get TIG'd. However they do make 6011 and 7018AC rods so there ya go. I think youd be fine with AC only but there's always a reason to get a better machine...
Country isn't country unless it's classic.
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

gasjr4wd wrote:Thanks for the reply...
I think I'll just wait till I have more $ for something like a stickmate lx 300 or something. Maybe even with a tig. Also thinking about it I need a bigger shed. :(
Just outa room.
Now to find someone local to weld it that I trust.
Location helps, might even be a member close to you that's willing to help out
gasjr4wd

Delaware...
Hadn't thought of that.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Older AC welders are not as kind to circuit breakers/ safety switches on power boards. Because of the difficulties in starting the arc. (Points to ponder, dont let it stop you.)

Mick
nathan
    Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Check craigslist religiously. I saw an AC/DC Lincoln like mine go for $50 this week! Wish I had got it, but mine only cost me $175. Sometimes I see em around the $200 range, but usually $350. The AC DC idealarcs go cheap a lot too because nobody knows that they are awesome.
Instagram: @nathanppiatt

Owner/welder at Homegrown Metal Fab

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
30" 40 ton homegrown press brake
Northern Industrial1HP 3/4" chuck, 16 speed drill press