Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:05 am

Hi everyone

I need a shade 11 auto darkening lens for a pipeliner helmet

What are everyone's recommendations ?

Not concerned with price as much as quality - I only have one set of eyes

Really like my 3M 9100xx but I can't seem to find a 3M lense in that 2" x 4-1/4" size

Let me know what you all like and recommend - I need something that goes to shade 11

Adam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Adam, here's the only review I know of for a 2X4 AD lens, but not 3-M:

http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... =30&t=7544

Steve S
wheresmejumper
    Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:14 pm

Ive tried a few!

Servore auto lense $50,rubbish.very poor optics with patchy screen.noticable differences in shade at multiple points.i tried 2 or 3 and all went in the bin2

Miller auto $90,fairly good,but susceptible to staying activated/darkened with excessive heat.wouldnt advise for big wire fluxcore or bigger stick rods.build quality questionable. Dropped once and never worked again.(durability is required as squeezing the auto lense plus 2 clear lenses,1 front 1 back,is pushing the physical size of the flip front to its limit.every now and the the clip can work loose and ejects the 3 lenses to the floor)

ArcOne tradesman$65 is a good lense.good optics for an auto,slim fitting so less ejections,fairly robust,and good value

ArcOne ss240 $100very well built,will take a lot of abuse.optics very good,maybe the best ive tried.but big draw back is there are two buttons to change delay and sensitivity. If you use a clear lense behind to protect from grinding,this presses on the buttons which cause havoc with its operation. You can drill two holes in the clear lense to match the auto buttons,but it compromises practicability.

Optrel B020 auto.$130 Good optics,clear image.maybe a tiny bit behind the ss240. Physically thinnest of the group,so no problem with it ejecting from the holder. Able to deal with higher temps well. Durable.one of the more expensive of the group but the one i favour.id recommend this overall,but the ArcOne tradesman is very good value for money too

prices are around what i paid for them.i dont know how much more or less they are today
Dancing with the blue lady

Thank you Steve !
I read it and after Amazon shopping I picked the one that goes to shade 11

Adam Mc Laughlin wrote:Thank you Steve !
I read it and after Amazon shopping I picked the one that goes to shade 11

Post your own review, if you would.

I hate making a "one review" recommendation.

Steve S

Hey Steve / Otto

Certainly
After using a few shade 10 auto darkening hoods I have come to the conclusion that I really need shade 11 for almost everything I do, including light gauge TIG work

Looking forward to trying this out

Adam

Jumper

I ordered the arc one S240 that goes to shade 11; I really need a darker lens than most people for some reason

Amazon had it for 125 and with prime you get this by Tuesday

I have a job coming up this Friday / Saturday so I am sure it will come in handy

Thank you for the wide scope of reviews - I will be using mine for several weeks straight and then many months off, then back at it again

I do have a TIG spell coming up - if the auto lens that toggles to 11 works out well, I might try out the lens you use that runs to 10.5. Some finer metals don't need that much heat

While I do love my 9100xx it's kinda fragile for pipe welding work or on towers

Adam

I thought about what I said, and I want to emphasize,

I don't doubt in the least anything John (AKWeldshop) had to say about the product. I was suitably impressed with the reviews on Amazon. (5 stars across 70 reviews is rare!) However, different people have different perceptions, and what works well for one may not for another. That's why I asked you to share your impressions. Nothing beats first-hand experience and reporting.

Steve S

Hi Steve

Understood !!
I'm Looking forward to getting mine in the mail tomorrow and trying it out as soon as possible - I will let everyone know what I find

At work today I asked out welding inspector TC what he prefers, he tells me that he likes a shade 9 for stick welding ; and our boys are burning 7010 rods on pipes all day ranging up to 48"

That's quite the difference between my quest - I wanted something that goes darker rather than lighter. To each his own.

Everyone has a different flavor

I do agree with you : 70 reviews for something so cheap and everyone gives it 5 stars ?? That is very unusual - wonder what magic formula these people came up with to receive such high praise

More later - thank all of you for responding back to me and sharing your knowledge

Adam

taz
    Mon May 26, 2014 12:43 pm

I am with Steve on this one.
I have both an ArcOne SS240 and 2 Speedglas 9100XX filters. I have the ArcOne in my leather monkey mask. It works just fine and is very clear however I do not like its colour since it is orange and I prefer green. The same goes for lots of other welders that have tried my mask and can't get used to the orange shade. Also I find the 10.5 shade a little too light for my eyes.
John on the other hand did not like the Speedglas which is by far my favorite filter even compared to quality passive lenses.
So try and figure out for yourself.

YAH I have a 9100 XX and I think it is the cats meow
I was using it yesterday on a MIG job and while wearing it and looking through the lense I had the inclination to flip the hood down ( even though I was already looking through it !! )

The 3M unit is by far an amazing unit - I do agree

Adam